Thread: New hobbyist with some questions about my vivarium set up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New hobbyist with some questions about my vivarium set up.

Ive just set up my vivarium 2 days ago. Obviously there are no frogs in it yet. As Im letting the plants take root and the clean up crew to multiply. I have 2 questions. First is how to keep my tank cool without blasting the air conditioning? I have other reptiles that I don't want to get to cold. I had the air on 78 yesterday and the tank temp was 85 at the bottom measured with a heat gun. I know its due to the lights heating up the viv. My top is all glass. I was thinking to get small computer fans to aim at the lights. Not sure if it will help. Any sugestions would be aprichiated.

My second question is humidity. Since the setup my digital guage has been pinned at 99% when I mist it seems the plants never fully dry off and the front of the viv is constantly condensation. I read I should mist twice a day, but this seems to much to me. Am I doing this right or what do I need to adjust?

Again thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New hobbyist with some questions about my vivarium set up.

What species are you planning on keeping and what size vivarium are you using? Lights can throw off some heat depending on the type of bulb you are using so the fans are a good start. Also ambient temps can vary depending on where you keep the vivarium in the room. For example, I keep my theleoderma corticale near the floor on the cool side of my basement near 70 degrees but I keep my darts higher up in the more moderate section where it’s nearer to 75

4. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    What species are you planning on keeping and what size vivarium are you using? Lights can throw off some heat depending on the type of bulb you are using so the fans are a good start. Also ambient temps can vary depending on where you keep the vivarium in the room. For example, I keep my theleoderma corticale near the floor on the cool side of my basement near 70 degrees but I keep my darts higher up in the more moderate section where it’s nearer to 75

I havent 100% decided but I was thinking powder blues. Size of viv 18×18×24. Lights are jungle dawn led. I think it might be a ventilating issue as the top is all glass. I ordered another top and will cut glass to leave some room for the screen to let air in. Worse comes to worse I can use the open area to put a small computer fan with a cooling thermostat hooked up.I just don't want to be using the air conditioning below 75ish as per my other reptiles and snakes Im figuring to put the frogs in last week September first week October. At that point the 90 degree temps should be gone. I shouldent have an issue till next year. But I would like to have all issues worked out before I put a single frog in there.

Nationality
    [United States]

I live on the island too and yes it’s been hot as hell. The more climate control you can get now though the better off you will be and you’ll be thanking yourself next summer lol. Anything over 79 makes me nervous and I actually have a separate zone on my ac and heat just for my frogs. If this is your first venture into darts you may want to consider something in the phylobates genus as a first. They are on the whole very hardy and adults will take small crickets in addition to fruit flies (which is helpful if your cultures ever crash). They also do well in groups and are pretty bold. I use fluval fresh and plant led lights and I get a lot of Color in my plants. Definitely allow a little ventilation as you will need some airflow. I’m assuming you are using an exo terra terrarium and if so it’s the best we have available in the US. It’s all trial and error really. You just want a good starter species that’s pretty forgiving the first time around. Tincs are good but they don’t do well in groups and you may have to split them up. In any event good luck. You can check out dendroboards too but you’ll seldom get replies.

Nationality
    [United States]

I also forgot. For most species you don’t want the enclosure soaking wet. Maintaining high humidity is important but you don’t want a saturated substrate. This is particularly applicable to tincs. Again, allowing some ventilation is important. Usually 80 covered and 20 percent open will do the trick. In winter though it’s tougher with the heat going as you’ll have drier ambient air

Nationality
    [United States]

I also forgot. For most species you don’t want the enclosure soaking wet. Maintaining high humidity is important but you don’t want a saturated substrate. This is particularly applicable to tincs. Again, allowing some ventilation is important. Usually 80 covered and 20 percent open will do the trick. In winter though it’s tougher with the heat going as you’ll have drier ambient air

Hey Dan thank you for the sugestions and taking the time. I will take all you said into consideration. I should have the new top in a week or so. Will see how that shakes out. As you said its all trial and error. While never doing frogs before I do have experience with snakes, lizards and turtles. So im not a total nub that just did this on a whim. I will get everthing squared away before putting the frogs in. If it takes a bit longer than I want. So be it. I always put the needs and requirements of my animals as priority.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I live on the island too and yes it’s been hot as hell. The more climate control you can get now though the better off you will be and you’ll be thanking yourself next summer lol. Anything over 79 makes me nervous and I actually have a separate zone on my ac and heat just for my frogs. If this is your first venture into darts you may want to consider something in the phylobates genus as a first. They are on the whole very hardy and adults will take small crickets in addition to fruit flies (which is helpful if your cultures ever crash). They also do well in groups and are pretty bold. I use fluval fresh and plant led lights and I get a lot of Color in my plants. Definitely allow a little ventilation as you will need some airflow. I’m assuming you are using an exo terra terrarium and if so it’s the best we have available in the US. It’s all trial and error really. You just want a good starter species that’s pretty forgiving the first time around. Tincs are good but they don’t do well in groups and you may have to split them up. In any event good luck. You can check out dendroboards too but you’ll seldom get replies.
    I know we aren't able to talk about other forums but I have a serious problem on that forum. They are very critical and can be very rude. They are the biggest dart frog community and have some great members. There are just some that are regulars that make the forum as a whole unpleasant.

Not trying to hijack this post. I really like the blue poison arrow frog and I am very intrigued by this post.

I don't keep darts but respect the people that do. Dan give some of the best advice on the forum so if he suggests something it's worth looking into.

My only thing to add would be to look at the fans and make sure they don't drive the humidity down too low.

Good luck!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

My problem with them is that I posit legitimate questions and I get lousy responses. The site is also full of viruses and is not easy to use. I don’t purport to be an expert on anything in life and I always expect to learn more about the things I’m passionate about. However (as in life) most people who give advice are the last people that will take it.

11. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Ive just set up my vivarium 2 days ago. Obviously there are no frogs in it yet. As Im letting the plants take root and the clean up crew to multiply. I have 2 questions. First is how to keep my tank cool without blasting the air conditioning? I have other reptiles that I don't want to get to cold. I had the air on 78 yesterday and the tank temp was 85 at the bottom measured with a heat gun. I know its due to the lights heating up the viv. My top is all glass. I was thinking to get small computer fans to aim at the lights. Not sure if it will help. Any sugestions would be aprichiated.

My second question is humidity. Since the setup my digital guage has been pinned at 99% when I mist it seems the plants never fully dry off and the front of the viv is constantly condensation. I read I should mist twice a day, but this seems to much to me. Am I doing this right or what do I need to adjust?

Again thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help.
    Hi!
    In my opinion, both of your questions are due to ventilation.

There are fans on the internet that can be used with a USB block right into your outlet like charging a cell phone.

I fully understand that you do not want the air to blow in from the outside, so I have mine facing the opposite way, pulling air instead of pushing. In some enclosures I have it pushing air, facing in, but on the slowest setting.

This will keep it vented w/o fully cooling it off. But you have to play/tilting with it. Let me know if you want to see some pics (I can email them to you, and show you what I mean by play/tilting the fans).

I mist The Rainforest Exhibit, 2 to 3 times a day. I use the Advanced MistKing System with 15 nozzles, and then I use a 2 gallon hand mister to get anything that needs extra water (vertical, near to the top, under a log, ruin, rock).

My bromeliads are growing pups, my moss exploded in growth, all my plants are going crazy! Check out my vlog at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtn...HuClgb5HVUaAAQ

For heating Reptiles, like everything on the internet, you need a hot zone and cool zone. Give them a spot to heat up and to cool down when too hot. Give them UV lights for Vitamin D.

What animals do you have?

Just FYI, I am an artist, not a zoologist or herpetologist, but I had The Rainforest Exhibit with plants only, plus springtails, for over 2 to 3 months. Now there is only one red-eyed tree frog in a 750 Gallon by volume vivarium!
    All the fauna I have is too small to be set free in there. So in 2 more months they should be large enough to be placed in the exhibit! I cannot wait!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by The Rainforest Exhibit View Post
    Hi!
    In my opinion, both of your questions are due to ventilation.

There are fans on the internet that can be used with a USB block right into your outlet like charging a cell phone.

I fully understand that you do not want the air to blow in from the outside, so I have mine facing the opposite way, pulling air instead of pushing. In some enclosures I have it pushing air, facing in, but on the slowest setting.

This will keep it vented w/o fully cooling it off. But you have to play/tilting with it. Let me know if you want to see some pics (I can email them to you, and show you what I mean by play/tilting the fans).

I mist The Rainforest Exhibit, 2 to 3 times a day. I use the Advanced MistKing System with 15 nozzles, and then I use a 2 gallon hand mister to get anything that needs extra water (vertical, near to the top, under a log, ruin, rock).

My bromeliads are growing pups, my moss exploded in growth, all my plants are going crazy! Check out my vlog at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtn...HuClgb5HVUaAAQ

For heating Reptiles, like everything on the internet, you need a hot zone and cool zone. Give them a spot to heat up and to cool down when too hot. Give them UV lights for Vitamin D.

What animals do you have?

Just FYI, I am an artist, not a zoologist or herpetologist, but I had The Rainforest Exhibit with plants only, plus springtails, for over 2 to 3 months. Now there is only one red-eyed tree frog in a 750 Gallon by volume vivarium!
    All the fauna I have is too small to be set free in there. So in 2 more months they should be large enough to be placed in the exhibit! I cannot wait!

Yes its defenetly a ventilation problem due to the all glass top. Right now I have the front doors opened a crack and that seems to be doing the trick. I ordered another cover and will cut the glass to leave about 20% open for screening.
    as far as animals at the moment I have 2 ball pythons, 2 hog nose snakes, and a crested gecko. Ive had turtles in the past, other assorted small lizards. Im looking to get a Hog Island Boa, and possibly a Russian Tortoise to round things out. But that wont be for a year. Right now I just want to get the frogs sorted out.

Yes its defenetly a ventilation problem due to the all glass top. Right now I have the front doors opened a crack and that seems to be doing the trick. I ordered another cover and will cut the glass to leave about 20% open for screening.
    as far as animals at the moment I have 2 ball pythons, 2 hog nose snakes, and a crested gecko. Ive had turtles in the past, other assorted small lizards. Im looking to get a Hog Island Boa, and possibly a Russian Tortoise to round things out. But that wont be for a year. Right now I just want to get the frogs sorted out.
    Hi Chris,

I misunderstood, so you are getting frogs? You do not have any yet, right?
    Do you have pics of your setups?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by The Rainforest Exhibit View Post
    Hi Chris,

I misunderstood, so you are getting frogs? You do not have any yet, right?
    No frogs yet it has to cycle and plants have to root

No frogs yet it has to cycle and plants have to root
    OK

I would agree that is sounds like you need a bit of air movement.

Thread Information