Thread: Keeping wood frogs

Default Keeping wood frogs

Hi all,
    How are wood frogs as pets? I already know that they are more terrestrial similar to toads as I have found the to coexist in the wild with them around my area and I am aware that the adults are known to not make good captives but how would they fare in captivity if they are raised from a very young size ? I do not plan to keep any as pets I am just asking for the purpose of discussion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Keeping wood frogs

I kept them years ago. They do well in a planted vivarium, kept on the cool side.

4. This member thanks Herpin Man for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The temperature can't reach 70 or it shortens their lifespan. They are very nervous but can be called down with a planted Viv. You need a larger one with UVB and they need smaller insects. No grubs they get runny stool because of it. Provide a permanent body of water not just a water bowl. Humidity 50-69 and feed the crickets Mazuri Better Bug Gutload. If you have more questions I can help you. I was going to keep them but opted out.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

6. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    The temperature can't reach 70 or it shortens their lifespan. They are very nervous but can be called down with a planted Viv. You need a larger one with UVB and they need smaller insects. No grubs they get runny stool because of it. Provide a permanent body of water not just a water bowl. Humidity 50-69 and feed the crickets Mazuri Better Bug Gutload. If you have more questions I can help you. I was going to keep them but opted out.

Hi there,
    What made you decide not to attempt keeping ? From what it sounds like they are very high maintenance. I am aware that nightcrawler would give runny stools but what grubs also do this (wild grubs? wax and or butter worms).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hi there,
    What made you decide not to attempt keeping ? From what it sounds like they are very high maintenance. I am aware that nightcrawler would give runny stools but what grubs also do this (wild grubs? wax and or butter worms).
    Yes grubs will cause the same problem. I was going to keep them with my toads which normally would be acceptable but mine came from a valley where it's warmer then what wood frogs are used to. I tried acclimating my toads below 70s and my toads have been fighting parasites so the cooler conditions affected them. So I had to opt out of the wood frogs in order to keep my toads. They are very sensitive to diseases and carry most likely which could be given to other species. A cooler garage or basement is the best way to keep them.

9. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Yes grubs will cause the same problem. I was going to keep them with my toads which normally would be acceptable but mine came from a valley where it's warmer then what wood frogs are used to. I tried acclimating my toads below 70s and my toads have been fighting parasites so the cooler conditions affected them. So I had to opt out of the wood frogs in order to keep my toads. They are very sensitive to diseases and carry most likely which could be given to other species. A cooler garage or basement is the best way to keep them.

Thanks for the reply, from what it sounds like they would not make a good pet and It answers my question why in present day, there really isn't that much success in keeping them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Thanks for the reply, from what it sounds like they would not make a good pet and It answers my question why in present day, there really isn't that much success in keeping them.
    I was very disappointed that I couldn't keep them because I researched them for 6 years on captive care and had my chance but it just wasn't meant to be. They can be good captives but they would need to be the top priority for any keeper because of their care. They actually can live with toads but where you find the toads matters! If you do consider keeping them I hope you are very successful.

12. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Thread Information