Thread: best place to buy feeder insects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default best place to buy feeder insects

Hi all,

in my area there are several options to buy feeder insects: PetSmart , pet Valu and local fish stores. I have been buying feeder insects for my pets from all places however which do you guys think would be the safest bet to purchase them. The reason I am asking is that I have read online that PetSmart stores carry aquatic frogs which are carrying Chytrid fungus and although I'm obviously not using the aquatic frogs as food, they are in the vicinity of the place I buy crickets. now I'm sounding kinda crazy I know but I can't help to be worried that I've been poisoning my pets with tainted feeders. does anyone else buy there crickets from PetSmart or should I avoid this place all together. There also isn't any vets in my area or anywhere close that deal with amphibians so anyones expertise would be of great value.

Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: best place to buy feeder insects

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hi all,

in my area there are several options to buy feeder insects: PetSmart , pet Valu and local fish stores. I have been buying feeder insects for my pets from all places however which do you guys think would be the safest bet to purchase them. The reason I am asking is that I have read online that PetSmart stores carry aquatic frogs which are carrying Chytrid fungus and although I'm obviously not using the aquatic frogs as food, they are in the vicinity of the place I buy crickets. now I'm sounding kinda crazy I know but I can't help to be worried that I've been poisoning my pets with tainted feeders. does anyone else buy there crickets from PetSmart or should I avoid this place all together. There also isn't any vets in my area or anywhere close that deal with amphibians so anyones expertise would be of great value.

Thanks
    Hello! Try Josh's Frogs they have great prices and are very easy to work with. They have a good reputation. Also try Carolina Biological they have a good rep also. Between those two you are set.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

3. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Default Re: best place to buy feeder insects

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Hello! Try Josh's Frogs they have great prices and are very easy to work with. They have a good reputation. Also try Carolina Biological they have a good rep also. Between those two you are set.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response I will have to check out these sites. The only reason why I haven't already been doing online ordering for crickets was that it would be expensive with duty/shipping fees and since I'm in Canada there's a chance they might die of cold temperatures in transit. That being said is it frowned upon to buy feeders from local stores other than PetSmart or does everyone buy their bugs online?

Thread Information