Thread: How do i help a pacman frog in estivation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do i help a pacman frog in estivation

hi, im a fairly new pacman frog owner, my pacman frog ziggy hasnt eaten or woken up in about 4 weeks now. the last thing i had fed him was a pinkie rat, he is still breathing and responding to it if i touch his feet, but i am starting to notice him get a little skinny.

i was told by a friend that he could be in estivation, after doing research i figured out he could be in estivation because his living place wasnt good enough, so i moved him into a bigger tank, and im going to start giving him a day/night light schedule.

im just wondering if theres anything else i can do to help him wake up so i can feed him, im really worried hes going to end up starving to death. and what should i do once he does wake up

1. Size of enclosure: 20 gal
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: just ziggy
    3. Humidity: i spray him once or twice a day, i dont know the exact humidity level
    4. Temperature: used to be room temperature, just put a light in to make it about 80
    5. Water - type: i use distilled water for both soaking and spritzing
    6. Materials used for substrate: coconut substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials: so far i only have coconut substrate and a dish for him to soak, i am planning on getting some moss and other things for him to hide in.
    8. Main food source: pinkies and crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): i dust both the crickets and pinkies with calcium, i didnt know he needed other vitamins except for vitamin D
    10. Lighting: a 15 watt florescent light
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: i was told the light would add enough heat
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: 4 weeks ago
    13. Have you found poop lately: no because he hasnt eaten
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area: he seems to be getting skinnier, and he sometimes lifts his head up to breath kind of funny
    16. How old is the frog: i got him from another owner who didnt know his age, so id say maybe about a year old?
    17. How long have you owned him/her: about 3 months
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: i fed it a pinkie once every week, and crickets when he would chirp at me for food
    20. How often the frog is handled: not very often because i know they can absorb toxins from my skin
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): i scoop out his poop and replace the coconut substrate every month, and replace the water every time he soaks
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; August 29th, 2019 at 09:49 PM.

Thread Information