Thread: B. Americanus Project.

Rat The Unloved

Default B. Americanus Project.

NOTE: This is just my first post to "introduce" my project. It hasn't begun yet, but will probably be getting started in the next month.

After a lot of serious contemplation, and being called over to a neighbors to pick about 20 tadpoles out of their fountain - I decided to finally try raising toadlets.

Last winter (yes, winter. We had one vaguely warm day and the toads lost their marbles) I located a -large- number of eggs (a 16oz fast food cup, literally filled) and attempted to raise them then, while I successfully got a large number to morph, before realizing I had no idea what to feed them - so they all went out into a derelict koi pond out front. Well, nature seems to favor dumpy toads and I learned how to sweep piles of them up before mowing the lawn.

Taking an honest inventory of the stored aquariums I have - I decided NOT to get a 20L through Petco's "dollar a gallon" deal. Instead I'll be using an old 29 we have lying around (same footprint, slightly more wasted height, won't cost any money). As a promise to my future spouse - I won't be setting up the 29 until the toads have thoroughly outgrown the betta tank they're currently being tadpoles in. The 29 will need a small modification - the hood has been punched for pumps and air tubing which is not desired. These holes will be covered with fabric mesh.

For the background I'll be using the expanding foam method (siding with the "Pond" stuff, not the beige stuff), over eggcrate (structural support) with native wood zip-tied in before foaming. I'm going to taper the background off toward the top, hopefully only having a thin layer at the highest point - to hopefully limit escape attempts.

The over-all impression will -hopefully- be of a terraced ravine with bits of tree root emerging, and plants clinging to it. For plants I'm looking to stick strictly with Oklahoma natives, and preferably shade-plants at that. 1: these plants will be easier to care for 2: when/if I break the tank down they can be planted in my garden. Soil will probably be coconut husk, combined with bark chips and local leaf-litter (willow, and elm primarily).

For hides, I'll be making modular ceramic structures. My "sideline" business is in ceramics, so creating something that looks good, and blends well, will be fairly simple. The modular structures will have a portion thoroughly anchored into the foam, with a removable front in the likely event that I need to clean the hides out. Otherwise, I'll simply ensure the hide-doors are wide enough for me to fit my hand in. I'll also be making a natural-looking soaking dish that I can easily remove for cleaning.
    Last edited by Rat The Unloved; August 21st, 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: I r speel gud.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: B. Americanus Project.

Sounds good. About the only thing I would say is make sure that you use a good(and really only repashy icb fits the bill well in my opinion) supplement for the toadlets and dust daily for the first few months. Also I would recommend keeping the toadlets in a smaller setup more like the size of a shoe box till they grow quite a bit. It is easy for them to have difficulty finding food in something larger.

Rat The Unloved

Oh, absolutely. The few largest will be kept in the 1.5 up to a rubbermaid tub before the final setup.

I'm still going to have to break the "peace treaty" with my fiancee, as I'd like the tank to have time to "grow in" before the toads are introduced. The uh "Peace Treaty" is the agreement that I won't have more than two "things in tanks" setups, and fiancee - er... well, anyone here who's married will understand the concept of "and my fiancee promises not to make a point of discussing my stuff being everywhere on a daily basis."

I'm probably going to order in the vitamin/calc supplements from Josh's Frogs soon-ish. The little guys still aren't showing any sign of turning toady on me.

Nice job. Good luck on them.

Rat The Unloved

Well, turns out most, if not all, of the tadpoles are Ranids, specifically Leopard Frogs. I'm going to go ahead and let 'em morph and release (or give away) any that are ranids - they're just not what I'm looking for right now.

They kept growing, and not morphing, and growing - and not morphing. The only one currently with legs is just over an inch long. ERK!

Quote Originally Posted by Rat The Unloved View Post
    Well, turns out most, if not all, of the tadpoles are Ranids, specifically Leopard Frogs. I'm going to go ahead and let 'em morph and release (or give away) any that are ranids - they're just not what I'm looking for right now.

They kept growing, and not morphing, and growing - and not morphing. The only one currently with legs is just over an inch long. ERK!
    Awe I love leopard frogs. Though pickerels are my favorite of the ranids. Anywho if you sell them just post em up on kingsnake. Sell em young for like 5bucks a piece.
    Good luck on whatever you do with them.

Rat The Unloved

As my above post said "release (or give away)" I will not be selling them. If locals want them, sure - they can come pick 'em up for free, and they could even grab a few more out of my garden pond.

If someone locally would like to trade toads for these - even better. But not selling them.

froggiez

awww sounds like a pretty good project

Quote Originally Posted by Rat The Unloved View Post
    As my above post said "release (or give away)" I will not be selling them. If locals want them, sure - they can come pick 'em up for free, and they could even grab a few more out of my garden pond.

If someone locally would like to trade toads for these - even better. But not selling them.
    Nice! good man! Even better. Just make sure you fatten them up a bit before you let them go. You know? And feed them the day you let them go. So atleast they have some food in their bellies when they leave andcan catch food.

Thread Information