Thread: Please help Noob rescued babies

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation Please help Noob rescued babies

Urgent. Please help!
    Baby tree frog care...

Hi. Thank u for ur time. I know its irritating when a new person asks something that's probably well covered ground but I have tried to find answers here and elsewhere and I don't have any more time so I'm just gonna ask and hope for the best.

I can make another post with more info but here's the most pertinent...
    2 days ago, found an old pool in the garbage that had essentially become a pond and was now drying out. Sure enough, tadpoles inside. Their home was gonna be gone so my 8 yr old son and I scooped them up with some of their water and put them in a 10 gal aquarium outside. There were 10, all in various phases of polywog, from one with arms to one with no limbs at all. We did as much research as we could and tried to find the middle of the varying advice. We put a lot into it but were limited by having to work with what we had at home. Last night, at 24 hours in their new home, they looked like they were doing great. At ease, active and developing fast. I fed them before bed and saw one was already clinging to the wall. This morning, I was devastated to find the 6 least developed had died. The other four had grown arms literally overnight and were doing well. The plan was to help them until they could help themselves and just let them climb out when they were ready. We have about 2 dozen very healthy tree frogs that have regular spots on our windows every night. Despite the rescue kitties, they do very well here. But these guys, although they would definitely hop away if I let them, just dont seem really ready. They look underweight and two still have tails and stay underwater half of the time. I dumped the aquarium since I didn't know the cause. Now they are in a little lidded plastic container and seem ok but they really need to eat. I just stuck them in there with a little clean not chlorinated water and some dry sticks till I could make a decision. I would like to keep them safe and help them put on weight for a little longer but don't know what to do. They are so tiny. I tried to find baby crickets but none were small enough. Can't go to pet store till Monday (not that I expect them to have much help either) What should I do? Should I just put them back in the aquarium with no lid and let them decide? Please be kind, I'm in a difficult situation and just trying to help best I can. I appreciate your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Please help Noob rescued babies

Just a little more info. Since they had been in that water and were so healthy, and knew they needed the algae to eat, I figured natural was best and kept it with them and just slowly added tap water that I left out and added fish tank dechlorinator to. I also did it in an airating way just in case. I put a piece of cardboard over 3/4 of the top so they had sun and shade. It was also in a spot on my porch that had direct sun half of the day but surrounded by shrubbery so it seemed like a perfect mix of sun and shade. Also had an empty plastic pot in the middle which had a nice gradual, grippy but not rough incline to bask on or hide in and put some plants that the adult tree frogs around the house like inside for roots and stalks to rest in underwater and above. This may have been my mistake as I can't know for sure they weren't toxic. I thought they were a good bet but I guess I was wrong. The whole thing seemed like a pretty perfect recreation of a pond and they used every bit of it, seemed really happy. Also fed them boiled and mashed broccoli and spinach although I never saw them eat it. I wondered if maybe it was the food since they died shortly after feeding. The whole thing broke my heart. I just really want to do right by the four that are left.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm probably not the most qualified person to give you an answer, but it's been quite a while and no one else has replied so I'll give it a go. I'm in a similar situation to you - collected some frog eggs from a pool and now I've got 9 tadpoles developing. Slightly behind yours - my first one popped arms last night. From everything I've read once the arms develop and they start absorbing their tails they stop eating until the tails are pretty much gone. So the fact that your froglets aren't eating is not a problem. You may want to start culturing some fruit flies for when they do get hungry though. It's pretty easy -a google search for fruit fly cultures will get you a number of vendors and shipping only takes a couple days so you can have something in time without much trouble.

Any idea what type of frog you have? I'm pretty sure mine are Gray Tree Frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank u so much for your reply, dfreas! ��
    I think they are American green tree frogs. I'll try to get a pic. I will be right back with an update.
    Thanks again!

Nationality
    [United States]

I am in the same situation as you! I got some tadpoles from a friend at work and am raising them in a plastic bowl...it's interesting that they develop at different rates! Also, I had them in two bowls and noticed that the ones in the bowl with a red semitransparent top (obviously with holes for air) were developing faster than the ones in the bowl with the green top, so I moved them all into the red-top bowl. I've fed them boiled lettuce and amphibian pellets. I released three of my first tiny froglets by a stream that is near my house because I had nothing ready to feed them at the time. I had no idea that they would go from getting front leg buds to little frogs in only a few days! I now have some flightless fruitflies that I ordered and I'm setting up a habitat for the ones that are just now losing their tales. I have the tank (vivarium?), plants, water bowl, plants/vines for climbing, but from this forum, I'm realizing that I'm going to need a light, something to measure humidity, and a pet sitter for when I go on vacation in a couple of months! I'm pretty sure mine are green tree frogs, too.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by KamNeds View Post
    Hi all we have a dove house and had 5 doves. One girl had 2 babies hatch last night and we saw them for the first time. Unfortunately mum got attacked today and has died : Dad appears to have gone with the babies in the dove cote. Will the dad be able to look after them on his own?? or do we need to take them out and bring them up? if so how?Quite sad how its worked out : Please someone help
    I'm not sure how this is applicable on frog forum.....

Quote Originally Posted by shannonnikic View Post
    Urgent. Please help!
    Baby tree frog care...

Hi. Thank u for ur time. I know its irritating when a new person asks something that's probably well covered ground but I have tried to find answers here and elsewhere and I don't have any more time so I'm just gonna ask and hope for the best.

I can make another post with more info but here's the most pertinent...
    2 days ago, found an old pool in the garbage that had essentially become a pond and was now drying out. Sure enough, tadpoles inside. Their home was gonna be gone so my 8 yr old son and I scooped them up with some of their water and put them in a 10 gal aquarium outside. There were 10, all in various phases of polywog, from one with arms to one with no limbs at all. We did as much research as we could and tried to find the middle of the varying advice. We put a lot into it but were limited by having to work with what we had at home. Last night, at 24 hours in their new home, they looked like they were doing great. At ease, active and developing fast. I fed them before bed and saw one was already clinging to the wall. This morning, I was devastated to find the 6 least developed had died. The other four had grown arms literally overnight and were doing well. The plan was to help them until they could help themselves and just let them climb out when they were ready. We have about 2 dozen very healthy tree frogs that have regular spots on our windows every night. Despite the rescue kitties, they do very well here. But these guys, although they would definitely hop away if I let them, just dont seem really ready. They look underweight and two still have tails and stay underwater half of the time. I dumped the aquarium since I didn't know the cause. Now they are in a little lidded plastic container and seem ok but they really need to eat. I just stuck them in there with a little clean not chlorinated water and some dry sticks till I could make a decision. I would like to keep them safe and help them put on weight for a little longer but don't know what to do. They are so tiny. I tried to find baby crickets but none were small enough. Can't go to pet store till Monday (not that I expect them to have much help either) What should I do? Should I just put them back in the aquarium with no lid and let them decide? Please be kind, I'm in a difficult situation and just trying to help best I can. I appreciate your advice.

Sorry for not finding this sooner, but I think I can help solve the mystery of why some of your tadpoles died. I had a similar thing happen, and it turned out to be pH shock. When they were in the pool, eating algae, the water was likely pretty dirty and full of decomposing organic matter, which lowers pH (makes the water more acidic). When you added in clean water, it raised the pH. Normally this would be a good thing because the acidic water is bad for growing tadpoles, but because it happened so fast, it sent them into shock. See here: https://imgur.com/gallery/prDZi

Thread Information