Thread: Care for a baby gray tree frog?

Default Care for a baby gray tree frog?

So I have a baby gray tree frog. I know how to take care of frogs, but I never dealt with youngins before. Is there any special care instructions I should know about? If anyone has an online care sheet they get extra cool boi points
    In all seriousness, thank you so much for your help.
    Edit: Just to make sure everyone knows this, he is not a tadpole. He is a land lubber like the rest of us.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Care for a baby gray tree frog?

Awe baby frogs are the cutest lol. You’ll want to feed a lot and make sure he has vitamin supplements often. I have a baby toad currently and I feed 2-3 pinhead crickets a day and supplement every other day. I don’t have a care sheet sorry no cool boi points for me! How’s the lil guy doing?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would keep it in a planted vivarium, taking extra precautions to make it escape proof. Then I would feed it lots and lots of tiny prey- as much as it could eat.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If it's a baby you want a critter keeper for sure. The smaller the space the better it can hunt. It would be best to just have a small amount of water at the bottom of the keeper and then get a fake plant the frog can climb out and dry off on. I recommend fruit flies for the first few months. Dump in a small amount and feed daily. Josh's Frogs fruit flies and Petco are best. You get at least a month or two out of Josh's Frogs and about 3 weeks out of Petcos.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

I recommend feeding them just before the lights turn off in their enclosure. They eat a variety of insects in the wild. In captivity, it’s not plausible to feed them such a wide variety. Stick to what’s easily available; crickets, mealworms, waxworms, hornworms, etc.

Hey sorry for the late reply back. I actually have 4 now lol, they are trying to escape the rising waters here and I was afraid that they would die on the hot concrete and not find a suitable place to go. They are all good, currently living on fruit flies ( lots of them) in a 10 gallon tall tank. I have a question and im wondering if you can answer it. What size tank should 4 of them be in? They are still very small but I don't want them to be stressed out by living in small conditions. At the same time, I don't want to make it too big to where they cant hunt their prey. So what would you recommend? Thanks so much friend, If you want pictures of them or anything let me know and ill totally do it!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misakimon View Post
    Hey sorry for the late reply back. I actually have 4 now lol, they are trying to escape the rising waters here and I was afraid that they would die on the hot concrete and not find a suitable place to go. They are all good, currently living on fruit flies ( lots of them) in a 10 gallon tall tank. I have a question and im wondering if you can answer it. What size tank should 4 of them be in? They are still very small but I don't want them to be stressed out by living in small conditions. At the same time, I don't want to make it too big to where they cant hunt their prey. So what would you recommend? Thanks so much friend, If you want pictures of them or anything let me know and ill totally do it!
    Could you send pictures so we can see how big these frogs are? I believe that everyone would be on the same page if they are baby frogs or if they were just young adult tree frogs. We could be a little bit more helpful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    Could you send pictures so we can see how big these frogs are? I believe that everyone would be on the same page if they are baby frogs or if they were just young adult tree frogs. We could be a little bit more helpful to you.

Name:  3 baby froggies on a bush.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  1.40 MBName:  Baby froggy on log.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  1.85 MB
    These are the pictures I have of them. I can't get a better picture right now but if you need one let me know and Ill get that for you. They are about a little less than an inch big I think, im bad at measurements though haha.

10. This member thanks Misakimon for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misakimon View Post
    Name:  3 baby froggies on a bush.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  1.40 MBName:  Baby froggy on log.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  1.85 MB
    These are the pictures I have of them. I can't get a better picture right now but if you need one let me know and Ill get that for you. They are about a little less than an inch big I think, im bad at measurements though haha.
    They can eat waxworms and small pinhead crickets. Get 1/2 inch banded crickets from Josh's Frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

These are toadlets (they look to be American toads), not tree frogs, so you'll need to adjust your husbandry for such.

Here's a couple of caresheets:
    http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...ytes-Pelobates
    https://animals.mom.me/raising-american-toads-2133.html
    https://toadschooled.tumblr.com/baby%20tips
    🐸 Magnus, Luna, Fern, Bamboo, & Nettle
    🐱 Simon, Bentley, & Zoey
    🐶 Rufus
    🦎 Ghost
    🐢 Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    These are toadlets (they look to be American toads), not tree frogs, so you'll need to adjust your husbandry for such.

Here's a couple of caresheets:
    http://www.frogforum.net/content.php...ytes-Pelobates
    https://animals.mom.me/raising-american-toads-2133.html
    https://toadschooled.tumblr.com/baby%20tips
    Are you absolutely sure? In the area where we got them from there are a lot of gray tree frogs. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I want to be 100%. If anyone knows, please let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    They can eat waxworms and small pinhead crickets. Get 1/2 inch banded crickets from Josh's Frogs.

Hey so I thought I replied to you but I didn't. So someone said that these were American toads, and I wanted to know what you thought. Are they American toads or gray tree frogs? Thanks so much.

Nationality
    [United States]

The photos are a bit blurry, but I've raised gray tree frogs from the tadpole stage. Yours don't seem to have toe pads which are characteristic of tree frogs. Do your frogs climb the glass walls of your enclosure? They also look to have prominent parotoid glands which is toad anatomy.

This is what a gray tree froglet looks like.
    🐱 Simon, Bentley, & Zoey
    🐶 Rufus
    🦎 Ghost
    🐢 Atlas

The photos are a bit blurry, but I've raised gray tree frogs from the tadpole stage. Yours don't seem to have toe pads which are characteristic of tree frogs. Do your frogs climb the glass walls of your enclosure? They also look to have prominent parotoid glands which is toad anatomy.

This is what a gray tree froglet looks like.
    Ya I don't know why the photos are blurry, its on a 1080p phone camera. I'll try to take better pictures when I can. No they don't climb the glass walls but I've seen one climbing the wooden log I have in their that's in the second image. Are all gray tree froglets green? Or can they be the brownish color of mine.

Nationality
    [United States]

Majority are green, but they are sometimes gray. Tree frogs are arboreal, they like to be as high as possible and will "suction" themselves to the enclosure walls. As they age, gray tree frogs become bumpy in texture, but do not have single raised bumps (warts) like yours do. Perhaps an identification guide can better convince you. Alternatively, a simple google search of "baby tree frog" versus "baby toad" will reveal yours doesn't share many similarities with the former.

Hoping you get your second opinion!
    🐱 Simon, Bentley, & Zoey
    🐶 Rufus
    🦎 Ghost
    🐢 Atlas

Majority are green, but they are sometimes gray. Tree frogs are arboreal, they like to be as high as possible and will "suction" themselves to the enclosure walls. As they age, gray tree frogs become bumpy in texture, but do not have single raised bumps (warts) like yours do. Perhaps an identification guide can better convince you. Alternatively, a simple google search of "baby tree frog" versus "baby toad" will reveal yours doesn't share many similarities with the former.

Hoping you get your second opinion!
    I think you are right. Sorry about wanting another opinion so badly, I just know that we have gray tree frogs here because I caught one here before. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. If you don't mind I have a question. What size tank do I need for these guys? Knowing they are like to stay low more I know I need to get them into coco fiber, and to get them a few more hides probably, but I am not sure of the tank size. They are currently in a 12 x 12 x 18 tank (lxwxh). I was looking into getting them a 18 x 18 x 24 tank, but now I don't know. Thank you again for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]

At this stage they don't need very much space. You currently have them in an 11 gallon tall tank but because toads are terrestrial they're going to need more ground space versus height, I'd suggest a regular 10 gallon aquarium (20x10x12). If you plan to keep them, you're going to need at least 5-10 gallons per toad as adults. I highly suggest reading the care guides I linked above, the last one is specific to toadlet care. I can't say for certain whether you have american or fowler's toads but the care is virtually identical.
    🐱 Simon, Bentley, & Zoey
    🐶 Rufus
    🦎 Ghost
    🐢 Atlas

At this stage they don't need very much space. You currently have them in an 11 gallon tall tank but because toads are terrestrial they're going to need more ground space versus height, I'd suggest a regular 10 gallon aquarium (20x10x12). If you plan to keep them, you're going to need at least 5-10 gallons per toad as adults. I highly suggest reading the care guides I linked above, the last one is specific to toadlet care. I can't say for certain whether you have american or fowler's toads but the care is virtually identical.
    Thank you so much. I got them a 15 gallon tank which I hope isn't too big for them, and a new hide for them to hide in. I took better pictures of them ( I think anyway) so ill post them in a bit.
    Oh and I did read your care sheets and am trying to follow them. Thanks again!
    One last question (im so sorry lol) but do toads hop? Someone told me that toads tend to walk more and frogs hop, but mine seem to be doing both. And I have seen two of them burrow, which i know is common of american toads.

Nationality
    [United States]

They do both, here's a video
    🐱 Simon, Bentley, & Zoey
    🐶 Rufus
    🦎 Ghost
    🐢 Atlas

Thread Information