Thread: Homemade cricket gut load

Default Homemade cricket gut load

Hi all,

When I am gut loading the crickets for my pets I normally use organic cereal and fruits and vegetables such as apples,potatoes and sweet potatoes aswell as carrots. I rinse them off with hot water to remove any harmful chemicals such as pesticides etc. Is this enough? I know there are gut load diets that are available at the local pet stores and I am sure that the crickets I buy from PetSmart are already gut loaded with it as it is usually what I see the store placing in their bins. However I do not trust the store bought gut loads for insects as I feel they are not as nutritious as real vegetables. Is there other options to feed crickets that are available at grocery stores?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Homemade cricket gut load

I’ve been using an alternating schedule of carrots and organic dandelion greens as my base. I’ll add a little dry dog food now and then (maybe once a month or two). Endives are good and so is kale and sweet potatoes; occasional apples and pears are ok but they rot fast and are mostly sugar anyway. Avoid potatoes as they are not very nutritious. Ultimately a varied diet is good as you want to transfer a variety of nutrients to your animals. Use a good supplement such as repashy supercal to dust your feeders and you’re good. I wouldn’t rely on Petco gutloading their feeders. It’s best to gutload on your own for 48 hours prior to feeding.

4. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    I’ve been using an alternating schedule of carrots and organic dandelion greens as my base. I’ll add a little dry dog food now and then (maybe once a month or two). Endives are good and so is kale and sweet potatoes; occasional apples and pears are ok but they rot fast and are mostly sugar anyway. Avoid potatoes as they are not very nutritious. Ultimately a varied diet is good as you want to transfer a variety of nutrients to your animals. Use a good supplement such as repashy supercal to dust your feeders and you’re good. I wouldn’t rely on Petco gutloading their feeders. It’s best to gutload on your own for 48 hours prior to feeding.
    Thanks for your reply, do you just rinse your vegetables with warm water to remove the pesticides and herbicides off of them ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I just use cold water. Hot water is not going to make a difference. Just give them a good wash and you should be fine

Thread Information