Thread: I built a Bioactive Vivarium for toads... but now I want a Leopard Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Question I built a Bioactive Vivarium for toads... but now I want a Leopard Frog

Greetings everyone! I spent the last month or so researching and purchasing the supplies to build a 20 gallon bioactive vivarium for some toads. I set everything up last night and it looks lovely... but now I suddenly realized I'd prefer to house a Leopard Frog. I do not have the frog yet of course as I am not ready for him, so if this isn't possible no harm done!

The reasons for this sudden shift are complicated and require too much context and backstory to get into here. my current situation basically boils down to this: I have a fully set up, 20 gallon, bioactive Vivarium that is less than 24 hours old (and of course has no inhabitants yet, aside from my microfauna), and i'd like to see if there is a way for me to add a sufficient water feature for a Leopard Frog. There is currently a simple corner water dish (Flukers, size medium, dimensions 6 x 5 x 1.5 inches) as this would have been perfect for a toad. I assume this will not be sufficient for a happy leopard frog, but I have never had one before so I do not know.

I was also unable to find any information as to whether they prefer to be housed in pairs. If so, I will get a larger tank (29 gallon, most likely) and carefully transfer everything over and incorporate a water feature. I'd prefer not to have to do this, though.

Is there a way for me to convert this into an appropriate enclosure for a leopard frog without breaking it down completely?

I'll add a photo of my vivarium to this post, but for some reason I was not able to get any really great ones so i apologize for the quality - i promise it's prettier in person.

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_4062.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  314.7 KBName:  thumbnail_IMG_4064.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  442.8 KB

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I built a Bioactive Vivarium for toads... but now I want a Leopard Frog

You obviously spent a substantial amount of time on your build and it looks great. However it’s not appropriate for leopard frogs. I’d consider a different species since it would be a shame to break the whole thing down after all that effort.

4. This member thanks DanDrobates for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: I built a Bioactive Vivarium for toads... but now I want a Leopard Frog

Thanks for the response! I assumed as much, but that's alright with me! My original plan was to put two american toads in there (it was designed for them originally), but I've discovered that the toadlets I currently have are actually Fowlers toads. I worry that it is too moist for them as I did see a source that stated they prefer a more arid environment, but other sources state they need the same things as american toads. Im truly very overwhelmed by what a difficult time im having finding correct, reliable info on appropriate enclosures for different species of toads and frogs! It seems as though every source focuses on a few specific species (fire bellied toads and tree frogs, notably) and neglects the rest!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree. There isn’t a tremendous amount of care information, particularly regarding native species in the hobby. Honestly it never hurts to subscribe to some scientific journals though. They offer accurate information, not necessarily regarding care but very informative nonetheless. Try froglog they have issues published online. You may get lucky and find something.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hello, I can help you with all three species. So a 20 long is good really for one toad. A 40 gallon is preferred for two but a 29 gallon can be made to work.

A leopard frog needs at least 3 feet of floor space a 60-40 land to water ratio is best but they tolerate other makes.

Fowler's toads live near moist environments according to the fish and boat commission of PA they are found along shorelines and streams. So a more moist climate is preferred by the Fowler's

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information