Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: American toad coloration question

  1. #1

    Default American toad coloration question

    Hi all,

    The other day while I was hiking I spotted a small American toad that was bright reddish orange in coloration.Normally the toads in my area are usually drab in coloration and I was wondering how common is it to find one with this distinct trait.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,276

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hi all,

    The other day while I was hiking I spotted a small American toad that was bright reddish orange in coloration.Normally the toads in my area are usually drab in coloration and I was wondering how common is it to find one with this distinct trait.
    What state or territory were you in when you saw the toad?

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  4. #3

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    What state or territory were you in when you saw the toad?

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    I was in an area of Canada which is home to eastern American toads and not any other species of toads that I am aware of. I wish I would have gotten a photo but it was really fast and jumped into thick brush.

  5. #4
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,276

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    I was in an area of Canada which is home to eastern American toads and not any other species of toads that I am aware of. I wish I would have gotten a photo but it was really fast and jumped into thick brush.
    I believe they have the dwarf American toad. You can find red dwarfs in the south of the US as well.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  6. #5

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    I believe they have the dwarf American toad. You can find red dwarfs in the south of the US as well.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    The area I was in is to far north for dwarf American toads to be located nor has there been any reports of them. Are they common to be found with this color

  7. #6
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,276

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    The area I was in is to far north for dwarf American toads to be located nor has there been any reports of them. Are they common to be found with this color
    I've never seen a regular sized toad that color only the dwarf American toad. The Canadian American toad for a larger part in Canada is said to be the dwarf so maybe you found a spot where some live?

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  8. #7

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    I mean anything is possible. All I know is that there have not been any reports of the dwarfs in my part of the country and the American toads that live by me are capable of growing 5 inches long and as round as a baseball . So maybe it is just a color morph thing kinda like finding an albino animal But thanks for your reply anyhow! if I see another one I will try to get photo for better reference

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    hudson bay toad?

  10. #9

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by butchblues View Post
    hudson bay toad?
    I don't personally live in Hudson Bay however it is possible there are Hudson Bay toads (which are just a very colourful subspecies of American toads) in my area therefore it I could have been one maybe?

  11. #10
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,276

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    I mean anything is possible. All I know is that there have not been any reports of the dwarfs in my part of the country and the American toads that live by me are capable of growing 5 inches long and as round as a baseball . So maybe it is just a color morph thing kinda like finding an albino animal But thanks for your reply anyhow! if I see another one I will try to get photo for better reference
    I have never seen an American Toad reach 5 inches you should get a picture of one if you can. Also I've never heard of a Hudson Bay toad. Maybe it's just a color morph for that specific region.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  12. #11

    Default Re: American toad coloration question

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    I have never seen an American Toad reach 5 inches you should get a picture of one if you can. Also I've never heard of a Hudson Bay toad. Maybe it's just a color morph for that specific region.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    Ive only seen large female toads grow to 3-5 inches which makes sense as the females are larger than males .Hudson Bay toads (anaxyrus americanus copei) are a subspecies of American toad that can be found in the northern parts of several provinces in Canada. They are not usually found in my area as I don't live way up north but there have been reports of toads not too far from where I live with their distinct patterns. It is very likely that as you stated that the toad that I witnessed was just a specific colour morph of eastern American toad for the area I was in as I have notice that different areas of my region have eastern American toads with different distinct patterns from toads of another area. I can post pictures if I see anymore with interesting patterns .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. American Toad compatibility question.
    By Denis The Bug in forum Toads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2018, 12:38 PM
  2. Strange coloration on American Green Tree Frog
    By Sewing0916 in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 18th, 2016, 04:02 PM
  3. American toad question
    By Deku in forum Toads
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: February 28th, 2016, 08:07 PM
  4. American Toad Sexing Question?
    By furious george in forum Toads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 26th, 2013, 10:19 AM
  5. American Toad Question
    By BerryNight in forum Toads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •