Thread: Getting rid of it?

Default Getting rid of it?

I "thought" I got a mystery fish in a package of aquatic plants. I thought it was a newly hatched fish about the size of a pin head with a long tail. I think you can guess the rest. It is a tadplole from an area of Florida (where the plants came from) that has been overwhelmed with cane toads and other invasive frogs. While I would like to see what it is, perhaps the kindest thing to do is to euthanize it before it gets too big. I don't want a frog. I don't want to see if it is a cane toad or a Florida native species. The person I talked to on the phone says there are over 20 types of frog in his area. I am not too sure what to do.

What is the consensus?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting rid of it?

Ultimately the choice is up to you. Obviously do not release it into the wild, but you may try offering it to someone interested such as a local science teacher or wildlife center. You never know.

Default Re: Getting rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    Ultimately the choice is up to you. Obviously do not release it into the wild, but you may try offering it to someone interested such as a local science teacher or wildlife center. You never know.
    It is still alive. It looks like a frog, not a toad according to the looks of the pollywog. it has a distinct black line from the eye to the mouth, whitish stomach, and is mottled with gold and some dark color. Pollywog pictures are not much help.

Thread Information