Greetings,

I managed to save an american toad from one of my chickens last week. he (or she) is perfectly healthy, except for an injury to the back leg, which seems to be a closed femur fracture, now that the swelling is down. I have experience with toads and their husbandry and am happy to keep the little guy until healed. the current setup is a 10 gal tank w/ moist moss, a shallow bowl, and plenty of hiding places, beside the window in my garage. the toad is eating vitamin-coated mealworms and crickets like a champ...

Now that I have an idea of what seems to be the problem, what should I do? Should I try and configure some sort of splint for the femur, or just keep the little guy comfortable, not mess with him, and see if he heals on his own? The toad pretty much stays in one preferred spot where he can hunt from easily, so it's not super mobile...also, since this happened a week ago, have I missed the window to splint?

I feel awful for the toad and I don't want to quit on it since it seems to have a drive to live....

Thank you for your time! Any advice is appreciated!
Tyler