Hello!

I have some questions and would like some clarifications about how to safely use Great Stuff (the foam in a can product) to make structures in a vivarium.

I've read a few ‘how to's but wanted to ask some specific questions and to make sure I have the right information as well.

I've normally seen these made with egg crate, or some other kind of mesh scaffolding, with Great Stuff put over it. This is usually done within an empty tank/enclosure and other bits added later. This is my main concern, where the bits are assembled. The tank is currently inhabited (it's a paludarium in a half filled 40 breeder) and I wanted to be double sure that I would still be able to use the same method of foam and scaffolding outside of the tank as long as I let it cure fully. I would ideally like the structures to be somewhat removable anyway for future cleaning.

The rest of my concerns just have to deal with double checking what I already know before I launch head first into a build:

With traditional Great Stuff I know you have to wait for the foam to cure and then apply a layer of aquarium silicone, and then allow that to cure. I've also heard that there is a Great Stuff for ponds that is a bit more expensive but allows you to bypass the silicone. Is there any real pros or cons to these minus the need for silicone, or would you recommend coating the pond variety with silicone as well?

Feel free to ask questions because I don't always word well.

Thanks!