Thread: My experiment with silk worms:

Member needs to set country!

Default My experiment with silk worms:

For the past 5 weeks I have been raising silkworms. It's a lot easier than what the internet makes it seem like and also these caterpillars eat a tremendous amount!!! It took 1 week to hatch the eggs so I have had the cats for about 4 weeks now. I started with 500 eggs thinking I would have a lot of die offs and I also did not start feeding my toads the silk worms until they were 2 weeks old and now I am left with very large, hungry caterpillars!!! My large female will eat 2-3 a day and my male will only eat 1 large one every few days to the point that I am only giving him earth worms (their normal staple) because the cats are getting too big and I think a little too big for him. Now they are eating me out of home!!! Praying they cocoon soon. In the future I will probably only hatch ~100 eggs and I will start feeding them at about a week old. If anyone is interested in raising their own and want to know the details of how I did it feel free to message me. They are great feeders and my female who would mow down worms and still be hungry is finally satiated after a few of these cats so I am grateful for that and I bet she is too!

- pp

2. 2 members thank PhunkeyPhish for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My experiment with silk worms:

Excellent! I’m glad it worked out so well for you. Remind me again, where did you purchase the eggs from?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhunkeyPhish View Post
    For the past 5 weeks I have been raising silkworms. It's a lot easier than what the internet makes it seem like and also these caterpillars eat a tremendous amount!!! It took 1 week to hatch the eggs so I have had the cats for about 4 weeks now. I started with 500 eggs thinking I would have a lot of die offs and I also did not start feeding my toads the silk worms until they were 2 weeks old and now I am left with very large, hungry caterpillars!!! My large female will eat 2-3 a day and my male will only eat 1 large one every few days to the point that I am only giving him earth worms (their normal staple) because the cats are getting too big and I think a little too big for him. Now they are eating me out of home!!! Praying they cocoon soon. In the future I will probably only hatch ~100 eggs and I will start feeding them at about a week old. If anyone is interested in raising their own and want to know the details of how I did it feel free to message me. They are great feeders and my female who would mow down worms and still be hungry is finally satiated after a few of these cats so I am grateful for that and I bet she is too!

- pp
    That's good to hear because I'm goin to attempt Silk Worms soon! As for the earthworms I have never had luck with them. My toads got a parasite last time they ate them so I don't use earthworms anymore. My toads seem to be doing fine without them. I give them a wide variety so it's not like I took a big part of their diet away.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Member needs to set country!

Thread Information