Thread: Sick pacman. Water Edema Syndrome.

Default Sick pacman. Water Edema Syndrome.

Hiho,
    (first of all sry for my basic English!) my pacman frog Fröschin (1,25 yo) got really swollen. We visited the vet (the closest vet that knows at least a little about frogs is 1,5h away). He prescribed antibiotic (bath) and antiparasitic drops (oral). But she didn´t turn better. After leaving her for 5 days (to destress her, she buried herself) after the treatment, I buried her out and I was really shocked! She added almost 100g of weight (water). I immediately rushed to the vet (told my boss I need a day off or I cancel my job). He diagnosed water edema syndrome (I set the temperature, humidity and food as recommended in a book about pacmans and double checked it on several web-pages). He tried to suck off some water with a needle but it didn´t work. He got just some drops out. He told me that he doesn´t know any other treatment and that he could not help us anymore. I don´t want to give her up.
    I read about salt-bathes. Does anyone of you used this treatment bevor? If yes: how much salt (and which kind) did you use per liter/gallon of water? How long will it take to see results? Did any non-vet tried to suck off some water with a needle at home (Maybe the vet was not experienced enough, he tried just one time)?
    I hope someone can help me. I got her since she was half a big as my thumb
    THANK YOU
    Rhino

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick pacman. Water Edema Syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Hiho,
    (first of all sry for my basic English!) my pacman frog Fröschin (1,25 yo) got really swollen. We visited the vet (the closest vet that knows at least a little about frogs is 1,5h away). He prescribed antibiotic (bath) and antiparasitic drops (oral). But she didn´t turn better. After leaving her for 5 days (to destress her, she buried herself) after the treatment, I buried her out and I was really shocked! She added almost 100g of weight (water). I immediately rushed to the vet (told my boss I need a day off or I cancel my job). He diagnosed water edema syndrome (I set the temperature, humidity and food as recommended in a book about pacmans and double checked it on several web-pages). He tried to suck off some water with a needle but it didn´t work. He got just some drops out. He told me that he doesn´t know any other treatment and that he could not help us anymore. I don´t want to give her up.
    I read about salt-bathes. Does anyone of you used this treatment bevor? If yes: how much salt (and which kind) did you use per liter/gallon of water? How long will it take to see results? Did any non-vet tried to suck off some water with a needle at home (Maybe the vet was not experienced enough, he tried just one time)?
    I hope someone can help me. I got her since she was half a big as my thumb
    THANK YOU
    Rhino
    Water edema can be hard to treat because it can be caused by a few different things. Most common is liver or kidney disease. He could have tried Furosemide which is a diuretic and can help them excrete held water.

You could try a salt bath, but you will need Epsom Salt. You can mix 5 grams of Epsom salt into 2 liters or water. Make sure that you are using water that has be treated with a de-chlorinating agent like ReptiSafe.

There is no guarantee that this will work if the frog suffers from kidney failure. The solution will be hypetonic and while the frog is soaking in the solution it may leech water from the frog by osmosis. Soak the frog for an hour in the solution and make sure the water is around 26°C.

As I said there is no guarantee this will work because it depends on the cause.

I hope this helps.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Thank you soso much!!!! The epsom worked. She almost lost 50g of weight!!! I used the salt as recommended: 2,5g in 1l, temperature: 27,1°C, bathing time: 30min in a medium-sized container so she was covered almost half with the solution.
    (I called the vet yesterday. He recommended a salt-bath with 2,5% NaCl-solution. It didn´t work at all. Obviously it has to be epsom!!!)
    I will leave her for two or three days to destress her, then I will repeat the procedure.
    I will post updates about the progress if anyone is interested!

I´m quite sure she has some problems with her little frog-kidneys. Probably her time left will be limited due to her disease. But hopefully I can offer her a nice time.

Fröschin didn´t make it. The vet made an ultrasound. You could clearly see, her enlarged and deformed kidneys. Although I could remove the subcutaneous water, I could of course not remove toxic metabolites from her body with this method.
    I wish you all the best for your little frogys!

Fröschin didn´t make it. The vet made an ultrasound. You could clearly see, her enlarged and deformed kidneys. Although I could remove the subcutaneous water, I could of course not remove toxic metabolites from her body with this method.
    I think when they get this disease its usually fatal. My one frog got this and I had to put him down as his organs where beinging to shut down(according to vet) and he was leaking something from his but.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm sorry to hear this. Sadly kidney and liver failure is not uncommon in captive frogs.

Try again with another Pacman frog. Best of luck to you.

Thread Information