Thread: Frantic White's Tree Frog at Night

Exclamation Frantic White's Tree Frog at Night

I know I've been asking for help a lot, but this has been going on for a while and I'm worried, so if anyone has any help it would be hugely appreciated.
    My little White's Tree Frog Jade is doing really weird things at night. She sleeps really deeply all day and then in the evening her pupils go huge and she starts getting totally frantic.
    She was obsessed with jamming her nose into one corner for a while, but I got her out of that by taping newspaper around it on the outside and now she just bangs and crashes all through the terrarium.
    I've raised the temperature, lowered the temperature, reorganised the cage, experimented with the humidity... all to no avail. She just keeps doing it.
    Recently I got her a friend but she's still in quarantine so we’ll see what happens when they get put together in a month.
    I put a cover around all the sides of her cage so she knows it's solid but she still does it. I don’t know what to do, but if this keeps up she is paying a visit to the vet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frantic White's Tree Frog at Night

Simple answer is she wants out. Can you describe her setup? It’s normal for L. Caerulea to be active at night and the pupil thing is totally normal. The nose rubbing can cause problems though due to secondary infection so you may need to modify your enclosure. Is there anything outside it that’s got her attention? (Example if you keep your feeders near the enclosure the movement could be stimulating her)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  2.38 MB
    Thanks very much for answering! Here's a picture of her terrarium right now.
    I don’t think there's anything getting her attention, since I cover the front with a piece of cloth so she thinks it's solid.
    Something I forgot to mention - she's been doing this since a few months after I got her a new taller terrarium. She was fine for a bit and then she started doing this. I'll add a picture of the old house that's currently occupied by her future friend.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  2.01 MB
    I'm thinking of moving her back into the old cage once the quarantine time for Cryssie is over, that may possibly help?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ok thanks for the pics I see a problem I think I can help you with. You don’t have enough cover. I’d ditch the coconut hide and get a few plastic plants and orient them towards the top. (Most have suction cups) This will provide suitable cover and likely lessen stress. Try adding enough these and see how it goes.

Ok, thanks! When she started this then she actually had one of those plastic plants, but I had to remove them because all she did was use them to climb to the roof and nose rub on the metal grating. The old one had the suction cup knocked off so I sewed it to the roof, I'll get a new one and attach it lower on the wall.

She also might just need a bigger tank - I can't tell how large yours is, but if you're planning on putting her in with a friend, you'd want a tank that at least 18 x 18 x 24 inches. It could be that she's just an active individual that is feeling a little confined.

Help!!!
    She calmed down after a fake plant was added but now she has clouded eyes and has swollen up like a balloon! She's going to the vet tomorrow but this is seriously urgent! Does anyone know what to do?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Hope she is ok. We give ours a long hamster tube ( they like to hide in it and it keeps them humid) and fake plants. We also partially cover the top with a towel for privacy for them. How warm is your tank? We put an under tank heater under the tank with the water dish on top inside the tank.

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately it turned out she had gotten a fungal infection from Cryssie - even though they were still completely separated - and she died... I gave her a bark semicircle thing to hide under, and her tank was 25^C with an under tank heater at 70% humidity with a towel covering the top on the inside to stop her nose rubbing on it. I still don’t know why she was doing it... at least Crystal doesn’t do it.

Thread Information