Thread: toad cannabalism

Default toad cannabalism

Hello

I have a juvenile American toad that I captured last august when it was the size of a nickel. It is currently being kept in a 5 gallon plastic tank as a growout setup until he reaches a large enough size to be included in my adult toad tank with two other individuals. I have been feeding it small insects such as calcium dusted small crickets and small chunks of nightcrawler. it has grown since I caught it however I'm scared of the possibility of it becoming stunted, with that being said would it be a bad I deal to put it with the adults or would they attempt to eat it as I am fully aware that toads are voracious predators of animals that are smaller than them?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: toad cannabalism

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    Hello

I have a juvenile American toad that I captured last august when it was the size of a nickel. It is currently being kept in a 5 gallon plastic tank as a growout setup until he reaches a large enough size to be included in my adult toad tank with two other individuals. I have been feeding it small insects such as calcium dusted small crickets and small chunks of nightcrawler. it has grown since I caught it however I'm scared of the possibility of it becoming stunted, with that being said would it be a bad I deal to put it with the adults or would they attempt to eat it as I am fully aware that toads are voracious predators of animals that are smaller than them?
    How big is the toad now?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    How big is the toad now?

The toad is a bit larger than a toonie so about inch and a half maybe just an estimate I don't want to physically measure it as I'm afraid of causing damage to it

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    The toad is a bit larger than a toonie so about inch and a half maybe just an estimate I don't want to physically measure it as I'm afraid of causing damage to it
    I understand so if you can take a picture of the young toad and a picture of the adults we can probably have a better idea of their sizes

ok. so the adult toads are roughly 3 to 5 inches long and my young one is almost 2 inches without legs being measured I couldn't get photos of them measured up to objects as they really weren't cooperating although I do have photos of them but it really doesn't give a judgement of their size

Thread Information