Thread: Playing or being agressive?

Default Playing or being agressive?

I have two american green tree frogs, one male and one female that I got at the same time. Iv had the for a few months now and theyve always seemed to get along (Laying next to each other or practically on each other) but lately my female has been like jumping at him and not exactly biting him but with her mouth open. Before this happens they usually stare each other down and he'll like run to her and then shell jump at him. Im not sure if they're being aggressive or if they play?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Playing or being agressive?

Quote Originally Posted by EvieWasHere View Post
    I have two american green tree frogs, one male and one female that I got at the same time. Iv had the for a few months now and theyve always seemed to get along (Laying next to each other or practically on each other) but lately my female has been like jumping at him and not exactly biting him but with her mouth open. Before this happens they usually stare each other down and he'll like run to her and then shell jump at him. Im not sure if they're being aggressive or if they play?
    They are deciding who will be the dominant frog. This happens with more then one frog all the time. If one frog starts to get thin or doesn't eat then you might have to separated them. My Gray Tree Frogs do this, my American toads, Whites Tree Frogs so many species will.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

It sounds like your American green tree frogs are exhibiting some common dominance behavior. As Larry mentioned, this is quite normal among many frog species when they're determining hierarchy. Keep an eye on their health and behavior, especially their eating patterns and physical condition. If you notice any significant changes, like one frog becoming thinner or showing signs of stress, it might be time to consider separating them. It's great that you're observing their interactions closely – that's key to ensuring they both stay healthy and happy in their environment.
    basketbros

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't know that frogs do dominance behaviors normally. (Not saying they don't, just that I don't know.) I suspect that it's more likely the female saw something moving and tried to eat it, even if that thing was a whole other frog. That just seems more reasonable considering what I've personally seen of frog behavior patterns. But who knows maybe ADF do have dominance based social behaviors that aren't male v male or disinterested female at mating time.

Thread Information