Thread: ?Materials for my Gray Tree froglets 33 gal fish tank

charlamanda

Default ?Materials for my Gray Tree froglets 33 gal fish tank

I went to several stores yesterday for live food, which I got and they loved, but couldn't find the recomended coconut and moss material for the bottom of the tank.
    The only "litter" material the store owner said was appropriate for my Gray Tree froglets, both < 1", was walnut shells that are ground into small smooth granules. I wan't sure it was the best material so I picked up a bag of soil from Walmart. It is 100% organic by Miracle-Gro and contains: sphagnum peat moss, composted bark fines, pasteurized poultry litter and organic wetting agent. Does not contain any Miracle-Gro fert. or plant food other than organic material I mentioned. Is this safe for my froglets?
    I also bought (5) 3" potted plants that are also organic with similar ingredients. The plants are: pothos, snake and palm, the other I am not 100% sure, but it is in the same family as the pothos. How many plants should I use? I do have several rocks I soaked in a water/ bleach bath for several days to disinfect.
    I will post several pics of: plants, 33 gal flatback oct fish tank (Dementions are: 21"H, 36"W, 12"D , it's still dirty in this pic), both frogs(pics aren't the best, but I don't want to handle then unless it's absolutely necessary. When I take them out for dinner I'll try to get better pics.)
    How many frogs can I keep in this tank comfortably?
    Any other suggestions for tank set up, feeding, etc. are welcome and appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: ?Materials for my Gray Tree froglets 33 gal fish tank

It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you cleaning that tank. That plants look great. Perfect for tree frogs. I personally would put all the plants in there keeping the tall plants in the back. As the pothos grows longer vines you can thin it down in sections so it doesn't look overgrown. You could ramp the dirt at the back of the tank to give it a hillside and put the plants a little higher to use the whole tank and give it depth, Just ideas. But those plants are great. Your frogs will love it with so many places to hide and climb. I think you could put 3-4 frogs in there with no problem. I don't believe in overcrowding. keep us updated on how it comes out.

charlamanda

I got the tank set up and moved the froglets in to their new digs. I covered all but the center for them and placed news paper over most of that, leaving an area 2" wide and 20" long, while we were watching tv. They actuall perched on the rock, leaves and the glass in this area to look out almost the entire night until we went to bed. Peeping frogs,LOL.

bshmerlie

I don't think it is wise to put news paper inside the tank. As it gets wet the ink will come off and transfer to them as they walk on it. If you want that kind of substrate you could use damp white paper towels, but you would have to change them out everyday as they will collect bacteria.

bshmerlie

By the way, do you know the name of the tall big leaf plant you have right in the middle of your picture? I think I'd like to put that along the side of one of my tanks. It look like a perfect plant for frogs to hide in.

Kurt

Ground walnut shell is not appropriate for any amphibian and the store owner that suggested it doesn't know ****. As far as I know, it doesn't retain moisture well and can lead to gastrointestinal impaction. It is used for desert reptiles/invertebrates as a substitute for sand.

I am surprised you were unable to find coconut shell. It comes in bricks and every store I know carries it.

charlamanda

(Cheri) The news paper was placed on the outside of the tank so they would feel more secure in their enclosure,as suggested in articles. I put a black garbage bag around the sides, the back is a print of rocks and plants and I left the front unobstructed, but placed newspaper over that section leaving only a small section for them to look out. Every few days I moved the newspaper back more and more until the entire front is open and they seem comfortable with it. Sorry I wasn't very clear about that, but thanks for the concern. I am not sure what type of plant it is either, but I do have a house plant encyclopedia and I will look it up for you. I'll post it in a few minutes after I look it up.
    (Kurt) I really live in the boon docks and there are very few pets stores in the area and the ones that are, are your typical mom and pop ones. I too was very skeptical about the ground walnut shells and found organic, sterile soil, which is what I am using in the tank. I have not used the walnut shells at all for the frogs. I did put it in the bottom of the container for the crickets, but when I captured them for frog dinner some of the granules made it into the "dining room" container. The frog were very unhappy when these granules got on them and they a lot of time trying to get them off of their little froglet bodies. After I realized how unhappy this made them I cleaned out the cricket container and now leave the container bottom empty. I only have a few paper towel tubes, a small dish with fish flake, a dish with a wet paper towel for drinking and a few rabbit pellets for food as well, also suggested by the pet store owner.
    Thank you for your help and advice. This is very new to me and every bit of info helps me and my friglets.

charlamanda

Ok Cheri, This wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. This plant it simalar to several in my book, but I am fairly sure it is a prayer plant. The Botanical name is Calathea(Calathea) and is in the family Prayer plant, Marantaceae. It is very similar to the Dieffenbachia, which is a poisonous plant, as well as the Aglaonema. It is a variation of the pray plant that is atypical so it may be difficult to find. I got it about 2-3weeks ago at Walmart, they had a sale on their small 3" potted plants. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thread Information