Thread: Baby Pac-Man frog okay?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Baby Pac-Man frog okay?

So my Pac-Man frog is still not eating and I’ve tried plenty of different methods and foods. I’ve had him for close to a month and he’s only eaten a cricket and a mealworm. I have a wide range of foods from mealworms to crickets to powdered food to earthworms and yet nothing seems to work long enough for him to eat regularly. I’m scared that he’s going to be underfed or something

1. Size of enclosure——20 gallon but with a partition
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences—-#1 Pac-Man frog
    3. Humidity——70-80%
    4. Temperature——-75-82
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish——dechlorinated tap water
    6. Materials used for substrate——coconut fiber eco earth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.——just a log hide and a water dish, prior to it it had nothing in the petsmart I got it from.
    8. Main food source——-freeze dried crickets (can’t get live ones) mealworms, powder Pac-Man frog food and earthworms
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)——i have both that I try after every other feeding but lately I stopped just because I don’t want to keep wasting it just for it to not eat it. Once I get it on a regular schedule I’ll start dusting again
    10. Lighting——-none but I have dim lighting in my room at night
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure——zoomed heatpad
    12. When is the last time he/she ate——last week a single mealworm
    13. Have you found poop lately——-it has pooped today and about a week or two ago
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog——no idea but I got him close to a month ago (January 29th to be exact)
    16. How long have you owned him/her——-read above
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred——no clue it was from petsmart in Citrus Heights California
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats——I’ve been experimenting so I’ve been trying all sorts of food that I mentioned above
    19. How often the frog is handled——-I only handle him once or twice a week to try n see if maybe putting him in a separate feeding container would work, otherwise I just try tong feeding
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area——-medium. I live in the same room but I also don’t leave or enter often
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)——-haven’t changed his cage yet as I figure it would be extra stress but I do change his water dish every day although he doesn’t use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Baby Pac-Man frog okay?

First I’d advise putting him in a smaller enclosure even if it’s Only temporary. A small krittter keeper or even a Rubbermaid container with holes in the lid will do. Try offering prey after lights out. The smaller enclosure and darkness may offer more comfortable surroundings and induce feeding. Frogs in the ceratophrys genus can be poor eaters believe it or not.

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright thank you for your advice. I hope my frogs okay. It’s my first pet but I’ve done sooooo much research (roughly 7 months prior to getting it) and I’ve heard so many different ideas. I’ll definitely get a kritter keeper. I also will be taking him to get a physical exam from a local reptile store that does it for free.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You are welcome I hope he eats for you. One word of caution though. Does the store deal specifically with reptiles and amphibians? Sometimes stores will use an exam as an excuse to sell you a bunch of junk you don’t necessarily need especially if you are a first time keeper. nothing beats an exam from a qualified exotics veterinarian but I admit it can be pricey.

Nationality
    [United States]

From what I’ve managed to read about them, they seem very knowledgeable and on the phone they recommended what u have said by getting a critter keeper, but if I was really worried to come in for the exam. The place in question is called The Serpentarium and they seem to have pretty good reviews and respond to the bad ones in a civil manner so I hope I’m not making the wrong choice by going through with the exam. I couldn’t afford a vet bill with my current financial situation but I’ve read about warm baths with honey/unflavored Pedialyte mixed in the water and other things like that. I also found mold yesterday which I freaked out about until I discovered it was normal but I went a head and removed it. Wish me luck lol and thanks again

Nationality
    [United States]

Update: physical exam went well. I got an appropriate sized faunarium (basically a critter keeper) with a coconut hideaway since my current log hide definitely wont fit. Might have to rig a new water dish in case mine is too big for it. And the physical exam itself went well. My frog is perfectly healthy and I was applauded for doing tons of research and not just listening to petco/petsmart. I was worried it was underweight and he determined it wasn’t, and even tried feeding it a worm for free. As far as the mold goes, it’s normal, but to always eliminate it when I see it and that having it in that smaller enclosure is going to make it easier to keep it to a minimum. Will post pics when I get home. I’m just so happy to hear he’s healthy as I’ve been worried all month long

Nationality
    [United States]

He looks so much happier now with the new hide and everything
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information