Thread: UPDATE: 2 week vitamin A treatment for short tongue syndrome completed:

Member needs to set country!

Default UPDATE: 2 week vitamin A treatment for short tongue syndrome completed:

Hi everyone,

I just finished the last vitamin A treatment for a 2 week protocol for treatment of hypovitaminosis A. It was largely successful! My toads went from struggling to eat 1 night crawler to mowing down night crawlers, red wigglers, horned worms and butter worms in one feeding! The toads have also become a lot more active and their eyes look much better too. My female will even eat horned worms right from the palm of my hand. I've posted links to papers on hypovit A and treatment, but if anyone has specific questions on how to do it feel free to message me or post here. I would say I can't claim this was a well controlled treatment trial, as I did add in multivitamin dustings, a new gut load, new food items and a new lighting system during the period of this two week, although I began seeing improvement just after a few treatments with the vitamin A alone. Thank you to everyone who contributed helpful advice along the way!

- pp
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. This member thanks PhunkeyPhish for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: UPDATE: 2 week vitamin A treatment for short tongue syndrome completed:

Excellent! Thank you for sharing. It’s nice to see a good science based outcome and I’ve added a similar protocol to my routine.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: UPDATE: 2 week vitamin A treatment for short tongue syndrome completed:

Quote Originally Posted by PhunkeyPhish View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just finished the last vitamin A treatment for a 2 week protocol for treatment of hypovitaminosis A. It was largely successful! My toads went from struggling to eat 1 night crawler to mowing down night crawlers, red wigglers, horned worms and butter worms in one feeding! The toads have also become a lot more active and their eyes look much better too. My female will even eat horned worms right from the palm of my hand. I've posted links to papers on hypovit A and treatment, but if anyone has specific questions on how to do it feel free to message me or post here. I would say I can't claim this was a well controlled treatment trial, as I did add in multivitamin dustings, a new gut load, new food items and a new lighting system during the period of this two week, although I began seeing improvement just after a few treatments with the vitamin A alone. Thank you to everyone who contributed helpful advice along the way!

- pp
    I'm very happy the diet you are feeding your toads. They are going to gain good weight and live a longer lifespan because of the diet. I'll pm you again I'd be very interested in planning a study with you on here I think it could be really cool.

Good post!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi...can you please detail the treatment you used? I have just begun my research and treatment and would love details of successful outcomes...thanks!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Lei View Post
    Hi...can you please detail the treatment you used? I have just begun my research and treatment and would love details of successful outcomes...thanks!!
    Do you have an animal that is struggling to eat? Or are you just curious about how this went? I may be able to help you.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a toad I found in my house when teenie tiny, about 3 months old now, who started having problems eating. He was lunging at it, but never opened his mouth. He looked to give up and ran away from it. I researched online and found info on vit a deficiency and short tongue syndrome. I am giving him Fluker's liquid vitamin and awaiting some reptivite I ordered that has both vit a and calcium. The Fluker's says 4 times a week, but I need to know how much and how often to be giving so I don't overdose, but at same time knowing he needs it. Also, about how long should I expect to see results?? Info very much appreciated...very hard to find info on specific directions online. TY...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

First I would recommend a vet visit if possible to truly diagnose a problem.

Sorry to hear about your toad. That does sound serious

I would encourage using a UVB clamp light 12 hours on off to help the toad get D3. If the toad has been struggling first I would read the directions but depending on how often you feed I would use it all four feeds if that's what you feed. I would also offer that you use Mazuri Better Bug Gutload you can get at Petco. You feed it to the crickets and any other feeder and then a day or two later feed the insects to the toad. I would also move the toad to a smaller enclosure so it's easier to get food. The Repti Vite seems to work for D3 but so does the Tetrafauna Reptocal. You could probably go pick it up at a local pet store for like $10 maybe a little cheaper at the store. Another thing that could help if the toad has not eaten in awhile it's called Oxbow Carnivore Care. You would have to force feed the toad but it would help a great deal. Let me know if you need more information!

Nationality
    [United States]

OK... so I won't cause more damage giving supplement 4 times a day? Also...I looked at the Oxbow Carnivore Care, would I want regular or critical care? I am presently force feeding because he hasn't eaten by himself in about 2 weeks. And no poo in about 1 week. I was afraid to input too much if no output.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Lei View Post
    OK... so I won't cause more damage giving supplement 4 times a day? Also...I looked at the Oxbow Carnivore Care, would I want regular or critical care? I am presently force feeding because he hasn't eaten by himself in about 2 weeks. And no poo in about 1 week. I was afraid to input too much if no output.
    I thought you meant 4 times a week. No I would only feed daily not multiple times. I'm glad you clarified that. Yes the oxbow carnivore care critical care.

Toads have a slow metabolism so you might not find any poop for a while. if you can find an exotic vet in your area to see the toad that would be the best-case scenario.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, thank you! Is it ok to do honey soaks or should I stick to food, supplements, and light?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Have you been doing honey soaks? If you haven't I would stick to the light and supplements because they might be enough. I would give it about a week to see what's going on.

A vet visit if possible would be the best. The calcium and vitamin D3 being added could have a significant impact in a short time.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have done 2 honey soaks because it also contained calcium, but I will refrain and see how the new supplements with Vit A, calcium, and D3 I jus got work. Thank you very much...

Thread Information