Thread: Poll on American Toad temps:

Member needs to set country!

Default Poll on American Toad temps:

I'm interested to see what people who keep Eastern American Toads aim to have the temperatures at. I have two that I have had for 6 years, raised from tad poles caught in northern Michigan. I have never really cared too much about their temps. For about half the time I have had them I lived in Florida and room temperature was probably anywhere from 70-78. The other half of the time I have had them I lived up north and during the winter they always had their soil temps around 70-75 with a heat mat. I recently bought a new lighting system (reptisun LED with a reptisun 5.0 T5 bulb) that I am using in addition with their reptisun 10.0 fluorescent. I was a little worried about overheating them, but ambient air temp seems to be as high as 76 with all the bulbs on. I am always surprised to read most recommending 60-70 temps for these guys, as I don't think I have ever kept them this low. Interestingly, first day with the new lights and the toads are being fairly active and alert but not burrowing into the cooler soil. Given their history, I don't plan on turning one of the fluorescents off to cool them down, but am interested to see what other people do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Poll on American Toad temps:

Quote Originally Posted by PhunkeyPhish View Post
    I'm interested to see what people who keep Eastern American Toads aim to have the temperatures at. I have two that I have had for 6 years, raised from tad poles caught in northern Michigan. I have never really cared too much about their temps. For about half the time I have had them I lived in Florida and room temperature was probably anywhere from 70-78. The other half of the time I have had them I lived up north and during the winter they always had their soil temps around 70-75 with a heat mat. I recently bought a new lighting system (reptisun LED with a reptisun 5.0 T5 bulb) that I am using in addition with their reptisun 10.0 fluorescent. I was a little worried about overheating them, but ambient air temp seems to be as high as 76 with all the bulbs on. I am always surprised to read most recommending 60-70 temps for these guys, as I don't think I have ever kept them this low. Interestingly, first day with the new lights and the toads are being fairly active and alert but not burrowing into the cooler soil. Given their history, I don't plan on turning one of the fluorescents off to cool them down, but am interested to see what other people do.
    I have actually created a care sheet for American Toads talking about this topic. Temperature and humidity are very important. If you look at your low temperature where you caught the toads from around May - August and keep the temperature around that it will be the best results. Generally these toads do well from 58-80 but do well like any native amphibian with a closer to home temperature.

Humidity is very important. Toads are not desert dwelling animals especially the northeast species. They come out at moderate to above moderate humidity. They do well around 55-upper 60s for humidity. Less humidity can dry them out and they will eventually have problems.

I believe after evidence the best lighting for American Toads, Gray Tree Frogs and a couple other specimens UVB and LED lighting are the best combined. Helps plants grow and helps animals metabolism.

I later in the year will be writing a part 2 for an American Toad care sheet.

I received information about these toads from Frank Indiviglio and my Vet who is nationally known among Ripley's Aquarium and various Zoos. I also used my experiences and knowledge of the animal to come to these conclusions.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Member needs to set country!

Thanks. High average was around 75 from where I got them... although I remember a much hotter summer 6 years summers ago! The temp is right around 76 at mid level and closer to 70-72 down on the ground where the toads are so I think I am set. I keep things pretty humid as well. Moist soil and misting every day.

I try to keep mine at 21°c

Thread Information