Thread: Red wiggler worm nutrient content:

Member needs to set country!

Default Red wiggler worm nutrient content:

Hey everyone,

For you all that feed red wigglers, I found a nice nutrition analysis of the worm, although the worms were freeze or oven dried. I am not exactly sure how the charts showing % protein and fat compare to the charts of crickets and roaches etc of % per kcal, but if comparable, seems like the worm may have the advantage.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...isenia_foetida

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Red wiggler worm nutrient content:

Quote Originally Posted by PhunkeyPhish View Post
    Hey everyone,

For you all that feed red wigglers, I found a nice nutrition analysis of the worm, although the worms were freeze or oven dried. I am not exactly sure how the charts showing % protein and fat compare to the charts of crickets and roaches etc of % per kcal, but if comparable, seems like the worm may have the advantage.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...isenia_foetida
    The Red Wriggler is a good feeder but worms have a better chance of having parasites. My vet had warned me about using earthworms and told me to avoid using them for a while and possibly until I find a reputable place that sells them.

I would stick to the following all included as a staple diet for toads.

Both species of domesticated crickets, Black Soldier Flies and Larvae, Isopods, Waxworms, Silkworms, Butterworms and occasionally mealworms. The earthworms are a good feeder but as I said they can contain parasites easier then crickets or the other feeders.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

I use uncle Jim’s worms. They have a good reputation and feed an organic meal that they have designed specifically to avoid parasites. I feed my worms that food mixed with gut load and have never had issues with parasites and have had periodic fecal tests done on my toads.

5. This member thanks PhunkeyPhish for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhunkeyPhish View Post
    I use uncle Jim’s worms. They have a good reputation and feed an organic meal that they have designed specifically to avoid parasites. I feed my worms that food mixed with gut load and have never had issues with parasites and have had periodic fecal tests done on my toads.
    Would you be interested in doing some type of a study with me regarding the American Toads?

I was thinking about doing a small study of the feeders and the impact it has on them.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

That is very intriguing and while at this moment I probably would not be able to undertake an endeavor like that, in the future I would definitely like to and probably be more in a situation where I could. What sort of thing are you thinking?

I contacted the people at Uncle Jim's worms about parasite control. The response I got is mainly a tight environmental control and preventive measures by only feeding them quality control foods and maintaining "security" to keep invaders out, as well as tight temperature and humidity control etc. I've been using that company for probably 8 years now (was composting before the toads which are 6 years) and they have been great! Since they breed easily, I have only had to replace colonies a maybe 3-5 times during the 8 years and it is usually because I had become lax somehow in maintaining them or by exhausting them with by feeding to the toads. While I use to compost predominantly, now I use the worm meal that the company developed and mix in gut load, although I may start adding in some vegetable cuttings as a gut load mechanism as well. You should check them out, they sell both red wigglers and night crawlers.

Thread Information