Thread: Houston Newbie

Cool Houston Newbie

Hi, I currently live in Houston, Tx. I am in school for biochemisty. After taking some classes and already having an interest in the relationships of various species of flora and fauna to each other and the greater surrounding ecology, I found that I had developed an interest in building terraria. A lot of that interest was instigated by being a mycology hobbyist. Now I am to the point where I would like to stock a native terrarium of east texas wetland. I am on dendroboard, but quickly realized the specialization of that cite. I am here looking for more info before I actually begin to plant the enclosure I've built. There appear to be many issues with making wild collections of amphibians. Maybe doing so with a hunting or fishing license? Making a collection of an invasive species such as Eleutherodactylus planirostris? Do both? either way, Im still looking into it; Im excited to be here and to learn.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Houston Newbie

Hello!
    It is really great to hear that you want to do a native species set up! That's really cool for the interest that you have! I have been building native Pennsylvania enclosures for around five years so maybe I can help you out. I have to ask you a few questions to see where you stand before I can give any advice.

What species are you considering using?

Have you looked at the laws for Texas? You might need a license, it might not matter or you might not be allowed to collect amphibians in Texas that's one thing you have to look at.

If you are looking to collect a species that is endangered or threatened it could potentially be illegal and probably is not a good idea because they're already struggling.

Creating your setup with a non-native species or with an abundant native species if it is legal would be the best two options.

After I know a little bit more about what you are trying to do I can help you to move forward. You can check out my enclosures on here or on YouTube.
    Search PA Woods Vivariums.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

I am not limiting myself to any particular species. I want it to be native plants and microfauna. Wetlands biome is ideal. I want the flora to dictate the animal species, not the other way around. I will be making collections of plants from city parks and local reservoir, Addicks Reservoir to be specific, which is run by the army corp of engineers. they have informed me that collecting plants of non-endangered/threatened/etc. status is perfectly legal. However, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has some rules that look like I need some things:
    Texas Parks and Wildlife Department requires that anyone who captures a wild animal be licensed or permitted. If you would like to participate in an activity that actively involves capturing amphibians (such as malformation monitoring), then you have two options:

1. You can purchase a State of Texas Hunting License (a $6 license is available for anyone under age 17.)
    2. You can attend a TPWD amphibian monitoring workshop and we will issue you a scientific permit.

Collecting frogs is not allowed on public roads.
    You do not have to have a permit or license to conduct call count surveys or to observe amphibians as an Amphibian Spotter.
    I have had a hunting license in the past, and certain requirements can be circumvented for invasive species. The other issue seems to be that the above stipulations do not specifically mention relocation to captivity, but rather mention private ponds and such.

Eleutherodactylus spp. seem to have some appeal to me because of the sound and thier small size.
    Last edited by BufoFett; January 27th, 2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Formatting for clarity

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BufoFett View Post
    I am not limiting myself to any particular species. I want it to be native plants and microfauna. Wetlands biome is ideal. I want the flora to dictate the animal species, not the other way around. I will be making collections of plants from city parks and local reservoir, Addicks Reservoir to be specific, which is run by the army corp of engineers. they have informed me that collecting plants of non-endangered/threatened/etc. status is perfectly legal. However, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has some rules that look like I need some things:
    Texas Parks and Wildlife Department requires that anyone who captures a wild animal be licensed or permitted. If you would like to participate in an activity that actively involves capturing amphibians (such as malformation monitoring), then you have two options:

1. You can purchase a State of Texas Hunting License (a $6 license is available for anyone under age 17.)
    2. You can attend a TPWD amphibian monitoring workshop and we will issue you a scientific permit.

Collecting frogs is not allowed on public roads.
    You do not have to have a permit or license to conduct call count surveys or to observe amphibians as an Amphibian Spotter.
    I have had a hunting license in the past, and certain requirements can be circumvented for invasive species. The other issue seems to be that the above stipulations do not specifically mention relocation to captivity, but rather mention private ponds and such.

Eleutherodactylus spp. seem to have some appeal to me because of the sound and thier small size.
    I'm only speaking from advice but I would make sure you enjoy and choose the animal the same time that you decide the biome. Sometimes what happens is people do not enjoy the animal and lose interest or something like that. If you do choose a species first you can then decide the best style of enclosure. If you have never owned a vivarium before you should consider researching your local frogs and see which interest you. That's my advice but it's all up to you.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

I have definitely done that to a degree. I would sooner get no frog than change my biome choice. If, on this journey, that is what happens, then its ok. Possibly intoducing an amphibian to the enclosure was only going to be a bonus.

I appreciated the advice though. Thank you.
    Last edited by BufoFett; January 27th, 2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: elaboration

Thread Information