Thread: New Member!

EpicFrogMan

Default New Member!

Hi guys, glad i found this site. I recently was given a Male African Bullfrog. He has his eyes closed and its called Aestavation right? He is freaking huge and i need to know what size tank to buy for him. I also already have a female in just a 10 gallon. Im excited for possibilities with help from you guys.

I will take pictures tommorow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New Member!

I maybe wrong on this so correct me anyone if Iam.... But I think that 10gallons is a tad too small for an african bullfrog. I think they need a terrarium that is 18inches wide by 36inches long at a minimum(male or female). Nor should they be housed together. I THINK that its aestivation; as long as the tank is dry and a "shell" is forming around the frog... ? From what I have read these frogs burry deep down into the soil were they shed layers of skin to conserve moisture during the dry seasons/spells. In which they lay for 1-3months until the rain wakes them up. Temperatures should be high in 80s and humidity should be relatively low to make a perfect aestivation. It should be provided with a deeper layer of soil. I think it should be dry but it should not be TOO dry. After aestivation frogs start to feed then breed explosively.

I think this is alright since I remember reading this. But id wait on others reply. Theres a pretty pixiefrog savvy woman on here.
    I hope you find these forums quite enjoyable and I wish you good luck.
    In anycase just dont bother the frog I guess.

Jace

First, welcome to the Forum. It is always great to have new members on here, and, because my favourite frogs are African Giants, I am always excited to hear of more members owning them.

Depending on the size of the frog, 10 gallons is more than adequate. These frogs are not hugely active and only need enough room to not feel squished and to house an appropriate sized water dish. My female and one of my males are in a 10 gallon; my other male is in a 15 gallon and they all have room to spare. Depth of soil is hugely important to them, as they love to dig.

Having his eyes closed does not mean that he is in aestivation. It could be a sign that conditions are drier than he likes, but frogs also sleep and have a protective membrane that covers their eyes in the process. As Kevin says, unless he is buried deep and has a paper-like membrane around him, he is not in hibernation. That is usually only brought on by dry conditions or in extreme temperature variations or both. Give him a good misting and his eyes will open.

A picture would be great, and if you could get an SVL measurement, we could recommend an appropriate size enclosure for him.
    Last edited by Jace; August 19th, 2010 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Correcting information.

onedge30

Welcome.

Best is to get a picture and let us see 'what you got'.

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    Welcome.

Best is to get a picture and let us see 'what you got'.
    I agree.

EpicFrogMan

hey guys took some quick pics after work. I took the female out for some pics and the new Male still needs a cage. Should i wake him up? or wait till i setup his cage tommorow? thanks for any help

New Male gonna name him BILBO

Female ive had for a year Omelette

onedge30

Well, they sure are well fed!

The male looks skinned over. I would think once you put him in his new cage and make sure it has the proper humidity, he should begin to wake up. The coconut fiber should be moist not soaking. Soak the fiber soil and squeeze out all the water you can, then put it in the cage for the substrate. I would mist him every day. In a day or two he should shed and be very hungry.

Nice pair of pixies.

pixiefrogman

Can you measure the length of the frog and post it? Because this looks like a female Adsperus, only because of the vertical stripe, and the head to body comparison.

EpicFrogMan

Quote Originally Posted by pixiefrogman View Post
    Can you measure the length of the frog and post it? Because this looks like a female Adsperus, only because of the vertical stripe, and the head to body comparison.
    sure, but im pretty positive its a male. Its double the size of the female and its throat is completely yellow.

So is a 15 or 20 gallon all Coconut Fiber with a Water bowl good enough for the male? I feel like waking him up! but dont really want to mess with him

Meatball

Quote Originally Posted by pixiefrogman View Post
    Look at it compared to the toilet seat.. looks pretty huge to me

onedge30

Yes, a 20 gallon should be good. About 3 to 4 inches of coconut substrate and a water dish that is big enough and easily enough for him to get in. I use a plexi glass cover with about 25-1/4 inch holes drilled in it. This is to help hold the moisture in.

TJ, I agree on the head to body, but the overall size may puch it more toward male. A front pic would help to see the throat. Any orange around the shoulders?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can wake him up by putting him in a bowl of water that covers him over. I've done this several times with partially leathered frogs. After a few minutes the skin softens up and you can gently start stripping it off with your finger tips. The frog should be bright eyed and bushy tailed in a few more minutes after that.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

pixiefrogman

Well I guess it's just a really fat male, but according to the head to body ratio, I thought it could possibly be a female. But the size does indicate the frog is male.

Kurt

Welcome aboard.

ediblelogic

Welcome aboard! And congrats on the new friend!

Thread Information