Thread: Advice on pixie enclosure

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Advice on pixie enclosure

I’m a fairly new pixie frog owner. I’ve kept tarantulas but this is my first amphibian. Could anyone give me some feedback on my enclosure. He/she is about 2 and 1/2 inches and I have him in a 40 gallon long tank. I know it’s very big but I was told it would be fine as it would grow into the size. I mainly had some questions about the infrared heat lamp I use. It keeps temps very good in there, about 72 on the cold side and around 81 under the light. But is infrared safe for using?

any other advice is much appreciated. I mist twice a day and feed once a day, give multivitamin dusted feeders once a week, all other days are alternated between undusted and calcium +d3.

ive included a couple of pictures as well. He/she seems happy and loves being half buried under the light. If anyone cares to confirm the species, I’d really appreciate that too. I’m sure it’s too young to determine sex but any speculation is welcome. Thanks so much everyone, I looke forward to joining the frog community
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Advice on pixie enclosure

He looks to be a boy at this point in the first pic, but its still too early to say with 100% certainty. He is giant african bullfrog.
    As for enclosure - he needs bigger water bowl, normally you aim for 50/50 % water/ land, or a bit smaller water and more land. But its ok for time being what you have. You have to get screen top, and secure at that, they can jump really high. My big boy has no problem to jump 24” high if needs to be, 18” height for a tank is minimum.
    Yes infrared is ok, i prefer ceramic heater, it lasts longer. Keep an eye on humidity, it looks too dry in there, normally you want to cover 2/3 of the screen top with foil or plastic wrap, but it depends on ambient humidity of your house.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much for your help. I’ve made the changes you suggested and things seem much better. My ambient humidity is slightly above 50% so with the screen on it is drying so much slower. He seems much more comfortable. And enjoying the extra water.

One last concern i just noticed if you don’t mind commenting... don’t want to junk up the forum. Is it normal to find cricket parts in the poops? Just noticed that this afternoon, they are solid but the water had some wings and other pieces of exoskeleton in it. Just worried about impaction. Thanks again for your help.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You should aim for 70-80% humidity and full spectrum light. Glad to hear its better now, they can sit in a water for days

yes, hard parts are normal, whatever was not digested will go out, but you need to monitor size of the crickets, they should be no more then the length between frog eyes. You should also introduce nightcrawlers as a main staple, dubia roaches are awesome too, not sure if in florida you can have then, no roaches for us in Canada you can give pinky once in a very while
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok thanks, I drilled holes in a mason jar so I can make it more like rain rather than mist now but filtered water. Seems to be staying around 70% thoughout the day. And thanks so much for that, big relief as it’s just been small parts. I’ve heard that tip about the crickets and I do my best to get crickets that size, sometimes they’re slightly bigger though.

Do I need to have full spectrum if his enclosure gets natural sunlight throughout the day though?

oh yea, and I do feed roaches as well. I am starting a discoid roach colony as Dubia are illegal here. Just not quite as much as I’m trying to keep my numbers up. I’ll start going to the store and getting ones to feed him more often for now.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You need dechlorinated tap (like for fish tanks, tap with water conditioner, my fav is prime), or spring water, filtered is not really good for them. In florida if he gets lots of natural light it should be fine. Normally when you think what an animal needs you look into their natural habitat and they live in africa in swamps, under blazing sun, but it does get cooler at night. I’m sure thats very similar to florida well, more or less.

Nationality
    [United States]

It is, very much so and high humidity the most of the time. I want to first say that I’m grateful again for your time. But one thing about the tap water is I may need to test it. I’m relatively sure that ours has fluoride and maybe other chemicals. I knew that distilled water was bad but not carbon filtered. Is it bad for the same reason (lack of minerals?) or something else? I’ll start spring water tomorrow for the time being or could I just boil my tap water to remove chlorine, perhaps other things?

Nationality
    [Canada]

You are welcome!
    yes, distilled is stripped of all minerals, there is article somewhere about water comparison, dont remember where, its attached in one of subforums. Boiling dont really remove chlorine, they use it in more stable form now. Just get a water conditioner, its really cheap, and used for fish tank water. You need the same quality water as you would for fresh water fish tanks.

Nationality
    [United States]

I found the post you mentioned and just did my first batch of conditioned tap today. I’ve also kept it more moist than I was before and bought an extra water area to add in today! Unfortunately I fed him some calciworms the other day and was unaware that I needed to poke holes in them and he passed a few whole. . You’ve been invaluable though and I hope you have a good rest of your week.

Thread Information