Thread: Is there something wrong with my pacman?

Default Is there something wrong with my pacman?

Hello, I’m here asking for help when it comes to pacman care. One problem I’ve been having with my little green frog is that he has no appetite. I could wave his food around his face for a bit and he won’t bite. It’s been a couple weeks since he last ate and I’m getting worried. First I should probably explain how I got this little guy which might be useful.
    He was my little brother’s frog and an “in the moment” purchase where the kid was really excited about the frog for a couple weeks until he started to neglect it. Which became more obvious as he left it at one of our places on the floor (in its enclosure) without telling our mom. Meaning the frog was in a plastic tub without food or water for a week. My mother and I got worried about the frog when we realized that he wasn’t taking it over to our dad’s or giving it water. So we checked on it. The substrate was as dry as the dirt here in a summer drought, it was moldy, and the tub was infested with bugs. SOMEHOW this little frog was still alive. So I took him. I relocated him from his nasty plastic tub into a ten gallon screen top tank, replaced the POTTING SOIL he was using as substrate with ecoearth, switched out the hide- an unsecured flower pot that was turned on its side- for a half log hide, bought some fake plants to provide cover as the only “plant” in there was a teeny plastic bush thing that was just hanging out in the corner, and got a thermometer and hydrometer.
    I’ve had him for a couple months now (he’s shed a couple times and even vocalized some!) and he was eating until when winter officially came. You see, my room doesn’t hold in heat very well and it’s on the windy side of the building. Normally I wouldn’t have to worry about the temperature of the tank as my area gets pretty hot, but I’ve been struggling to keep the temperature in the seventy range as my side mounted heat pad doesn’t seem to be helping. So for now I’ve been using a space heater to keep his tank (and myself) warm. And now he isn’t eating. He’s been buried AND vocalizing every time I’ve been in the room and when he’s out of the dirt, he’s in the water bowl and will sometimes shed. Then he’ll go back to his little hole underneath one of the fake plant’s leaves. I really hope there isn’t anything wrong with him.
    Does anyone know if there’s something up with his behavior? And does anyone know what would be the best way to heat up the tank yet still keep humidity in?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Is there something wrong with my pacman?

We use a zoo med heater that sits on top of tge tank screen. People mention putting under tank heaters but i am afraid our frog might burrow down to the heater. Thank you for taking in the pacman. Hopefully once he feels safe and warm he will start eating.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That sounds like normal behavour, if he is looking healthy. They sense seasonal changes outside and slow down during winter months even when both temps and humitidy is spot on all the time.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
    We use a zoo med heater that sits on top of tge tank screen. People mention putting under tank heaters but i am afraid our frog might burrow down to the heater. Thank you for taking in the pacman. Hopefully once he feels safe and warm he will start eating.
    UTH shoud never be on a bottom of the tank for multiple reasons. One of them yes - risk of burning, but the other is it is not natural for them. They need temperature of the air warm, and burry themself to cool of in a wild, same principle should be applied in captivity. The best heating IMHO of course is ceramic heaters or infrared on top of the cage
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

From what I know, frogs hibernate during the winter months. If he's looking healthy, don't worry about it. If he starts acting even more strange, try to do some more research.

Thread Information