Thread: Amazon milk frogs keep dying

Default Amazon milk frogs keep dying

Hi so I’m new to this forum but I have issues with my Amazon milk frogs they just keep passing away on me and now I only have 3 left. Anyways so I have them in a 20 tall tank they have a humidifier and ya bulb and a small spot light max temp reads 82.8 min 67.1 humidity ranges from 99% to 73% they are on coconut husk substrate and I feed them fruit flies mostly with powder but right before they die they get all swollen and stay on the ground I don’t know what to do. I thought Amazon milk frogs were suppose to be hardy also they are babies about thumb nail size.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Amazon milk frogs keep dying

So down to 2 and they look like they are dying to can anyone give me any answers please...

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It is very difficult to say and offer a solution without the full picture. For example - how many did you have, for how long, picture of the tank, how the quarantine was done, were they eating? Pooping? If pooping - how the poop look like. Friut flies - which ones? Were they eating them? Friut flies normally are too small for baby milks, unless froglets are just morphed and you feed hydei, but to sell then this young would be very wrong. The size of the frogs i would consider selling would be well established on 2 week crickets.
    What you are describing sounds like stress, as a primary cause.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

I use to have 5 and I got them as tadpoles and morphed them just fine so they livd on paper towel for the first month of life. Then I switched them to the tank everyone was eating and within the week they all stayed on the bottom and then started dying. But Thankyou for saying something I just didn’t know what to do. but they are all gone now so not much I can

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So sorry for your loss, what you said changes things, and actually that is why i do not like when people sell tadpoles. The first a while is critical for baby frogs, their mortality could be very high at that time and dependant on so many things, such as health and husbandry of parents, water quality, temperature and nutrition of tads throughout all stages, stress levels and care for newly morphed babies. Survival rate is never 100% even in very experienced hobbyists, but could be close. It is very sad experience, but please take it as educational experience, and next time get a well established frogs from reputable place. Milks are awesome frogs!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information