Thread: Infection in my Asian common toad?

Question Infection in my Asian common toad?

Hi, I’m new to this forum and I’m sorry to have to start my first post this way. I have been keeping an Asian Common Toad since the 24th of November last year. He was found on a concrete walkway by the road one rainy night. He has been a big eater since then. He was consuming 3~5 crickets every two days for the first 2 weeks before we switched to mealworm, which he takes in around 7-10 every week up until 2 weeks back. Usually, he reacts instantly when he sees food. He stopped eating for a few days before his last meal of a single mealworm 2 weeks ago. He has been avoiding food since then -- if I hold a worm in front of him for a while, he’ll turn his head somewhere else.
    We thought it’s getting cold so we upgraded his shelter and placed a light 50W spot light. The light is kept on 8hr a day, giving ~ 86°F right under the light but ~ 75°F for other regions. Didn’t bring his appetite back though. Around the same time, we also observed that he stays in water way longer than he used to -- a few hours a day to the whole night recently. This might have been caused by the heat and lowered humidity. I kept the light off yesterday but he still spent the whole of his last night in the water.
    We brought him to a vet on the 12th of Jan, where they took 2 x-ray images and performed some inspections. It was shown that there is a mass in his belly. The vet is unable to tell what that is without further tests. The vet also noticed that his gorin is a bit red but we were unable to tell whether it was like that from the beginning or it is something new. We returned from the vet to wait for a week for observation and see if anything changes. Here are the X-ray images:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 00.43.52.png
Views: 207
Size:  327.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 00.44.02.png
Views: 226
Size:  225.9 KB

As of today, 15th Jan, we noticed a darkened region on his belly which was not there before. His gorin also seems to be a bit redder than it was. We are thus making this post asking for second opinion before we visit the vet again in the next 24 hours.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 00.44.29.png
Views: 193
Size:  922.7 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 00.44.38.png
Views: 194
Size:  861.2 KB

Other notes:

• SVL 6.5cm
    • He is still active and does not show any sign of weakening
    • Tried switching back to crickets, didn’t help
    • Tried dubia, didn’t work
    • Vet tried to open his mouth for inspection but he refused to comply
    • His last excrement was found on the 10th. Dried though, could tell when it was from. That was half the size of his usual stuff but of the same color -- dark grey.
    • Bathing water is changed daily, dechlorinated, boiled and cooled to room temperature
    • We reside in Hong Kong where the temperature was around 75°F in December before he started to refuse food. It gets cooler in January but the temperature normally will not be lower than 60°F.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Infection in my Asian common toad?

Does he usually eat mealworms? I have read that mealworms can cause impaction in amphibians due to the chitin. Hope he is ok...really lovely toad. Does he mind being soaked in warm honey water like a pacman (that helps them poop)? Hopefully someone will respond soon who is more knowledgeable about toads. The mass and red spot are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
    Does he usually eat mealworms? I have read that mealworms can cause impaction in amphibians due to the chitin. Hope he is ok...really lovely toad. Does he mind being soaked in warm honey water like a pacman (that helps them poop)? Hopefully someone will respond soon who is more knowledgeable about toads. The mass and red spot are weird.
    So far I have fed him with crickets and mealworms. Since he stopped eating I bought also waxworms and bee pupae to see if the problem was him getting tired of mealworms but he still refused them. I’ve added electrolyte supplement to his water as I heard that might also help him poop but it didn’t work.

I’m not sure about the warm honey water though, should I try it?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I know nothing about that species so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer soon. It seems to help pacman frogs who are impacted. Hope your toad is ok soon...really lovely.

Went to a pet store which sells another species of Asian toad (Bufo gargarizans) and had a chat with the shopkeeper there yesterday. Showed him the above pictures and he said the darken region on his belly wasn't a big concern. He guessed that he stopped eating because of the lowered temperature initially, and after we turned on the heat lamp, it was probably too hot so that he continued to refuse food and soaked in water all day long. We then turned off the light and he seems to be more active now. We then tried to offer him a cricket and he finally took it!

Anyway we will still keep an eye on his weight to see if he's really fine. I hope it turns out that it's just me worrying too much!

Quote Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
    I know nothing about that species so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer soon. It seems to help pacman frogs who are impacted. Hope your toad is ok soon...really lovely.
    Thanks! He just started eating again today and also seems more active. It turned out that it was probably we heating his enclosure too much so that he stopped eating.

By the way, his name is William and here're more pictures of him. And yes he's a super lovely toad!
    Name:  IMG_5242.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  505.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0164.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  1.34 MB
    Name:  IMG_0226.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  1.42 MB
    This is him right after shedding.

Name:  IMG_0390.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  766.2 KB
    When he's shedding. I guess he's trying to rip up the dead skin on his back...

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Am glad to hear the good news!

Thread Information