Thread: Water feature question.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Water feature question.

In general, I noticed that most will steer clear of this idea, but upon doing extensive research, it looks like some frogs prefer and/or utilize STAGNANT water for eggs/tads in the wild...and I know many Darts utilize this method including Auratus. I wondered if there's a way to mimic that in captivity, or is it best left undone?
    Secondary question: would you say that a water feature in general (stagnant OR filtered) is necessary? reccomended?
    PLEASE give as much info as possible. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Water feature question.

Stagnant water works with the theleoderma species. I don’t use stagnant water for darts. Instead I incorporate magnolia leaves or Indian almond because they have tannins that act as an antimicrobial. I also stay away from deep water with darts as they don’t require it with the exception of amereega which appreciates moving water.
    Last edited by DanDrobates; January 12th, 2019 at 11:38 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]

So do you utilize any filtration at all, or JUST leaves etc (for tannins)?
    Also, do you utilize any sort of drainage OR siphoning to change water or anything?

Nationality
    [United States]

2nd- please explain how you would set up Theoloderma. Same questions as above and/ or relevant info (keeping Theloderma soon). Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Ok here’s what I do. I keep my four theleoderma corticale in a 29 tall. I used a layer of large stone gravel about 1 inch deep and I keep the water level at 3 to 5 inches. I use no substrate. I placed a few cork flats at different angles jutting out of the water and one laying flat. This creates a tent above the water and provides different spots for them to hang out. During the day they mostly hang out at the waters edge partially submerged. I use a tiny submersible pump to keep the water moving slightly in one corner but this is not necessary. I also keep some live pothos for added cover.. I add a few magnolia leaves and that’s about it. The water stays darkened and I never change it. I only add when it evaporates. I also keep them in the colder spot in my frog room where the temperature hovered around 69 to 71 degrees.

As as for my dart frogs I use a false bottom below my substrate which consists of abg mix over a a barrier of Vinyl screen over layer of clay balls. I had waterfall features but they were too difficult to maintain. The False bottom Effectively filters the whole thing and I only add water when needed. The leaf litter tans the water and with the addition of springtails it maintains itself. Some people drill bulkheads for drainage and water changes but I found this to be overkill.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    Ok here’s what I do. I keep my four theleoderma corticale in a 29 tall. I used a layer of large stone gravel about 1 inch deep and I keep the water level at 3 to 5 inches. I use no substrate. I placed a few cork flats at different angles jutting out of the water and one laying flat. This creates a tent above the water and provides different spots for them to hang out. During the day they mostly hang out at the waters edge partially submerged. I use a tiny submersible pump to keep the water moving slightly in one corner but this is not necessary. I add a few magnolia leaves and that’s about it. The water stays darkened and I never change it. I only add when it evaporates. I also keep them in the colder spot in my frog room where the temperature hovered around 69 to 71 degrees.

As as for my dart frogs I use a false bottom below my substrate which consists of abg mix over a layer of clay balls. I had waterfall features but they were to difficult to maintain. The False bottom Effectively filters the whole thing and I only add water when needed. The leaf litter tans the water and with the addition of springtails it maintains itself. Some people drill bulkheads for drainage and water changes but I found this to be overkill.
    Thank you! Very helpful! If anything else, please lemme know.

Thread Information