Thread: Toad having nightmares?

Nationality
    [United States]

Lightbulb Toad having nightmares?

My toad, Two-Eye, is a little younger, smaller, and darker than my toad One-Eye (both American Toads). He's also a bit more skiddish and shy. Sometimes when he burrows, he will begin squeaking really small, quiet, high-pitched squeaks. For months I've been wondering if he's rubbing against the bottom, or intentionally doing it. He's not distressed by anything other than possibly himself because he's buried and alone. But I think I figured it out. He seemed shaken up and was half-awake and kind of huddled in my hand when I checked on him for squeaking. I think he had a nightmare! I gave him some soft rubs on the back and put him with his brother to huddle, and after a bit he went back to happy and went to re-dig and sleep. Honestly, it makes a lot of sense for his personality if he gets them semi-often. Although I don't know what they'd be about, maybe having no worms to eat. Does anyone else have documents on toads having nightmares? Or this high-pitched squeaking sound in general?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Toad having nightmares?

it sounds like the toad has some type of problem. Touching it and rubbing its back is the worst thing you can do because toads have mucus on their skin which protects them from infections and diseases and with you rubbing it some of it comes off and if enough comes off then you get a sick toad. It potentially sounds like a neurological problem.

What are the conditions you are keeping the toads in? What temperatures humidity what are you feeding them and what is the habitat like?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

I do not hurt him and I make extra sure I am careful when touching him. I wash my hands in hot water, air dry, then lightly spray my hands with their spring water so I don’t dry him or remove any essential mucus or anything. He’s kept in a tank with coconut fiber frog dirt, Moss, and given spring water only for bowl and misting. I feed them a variety of foods like crickets, super and meal worms, earth worms, and rarely wax worms when stores are sold out of everything else in winter. The humidity I do not know for sure, but I make sure their dirt is always moist (not soaked) and I mist multiple times daily. He has no issues eating, drinking, moving, etc. From the day I got him (wild caught) about half a year ago, he would do this same squeak. He used to do it when the sun rose and he was on top of the dirt, so we thought it was annoyance. I do not believe he is sick in the slightest because he shows 0 signs and has been doing it for a long time, maybe 1 or 2 times every 2 weeks. Although this is the first time in over 2 months he’s done it. If it wasn’t a nightmare, I believe he’s telling me he’s cold because his tank is by a window and it’s winter. We keep the home around 70 degrees or upwards, and hey have a small side heater due to the window in winter. It gets no colder than 65 in their tank. I moved his tank away from the window and he seems much more content now. I’ll be honest, if you knew this toad, he is a huge baby and gets scared of his own shadow. I would take him to a special vet if I had any signs he was sick, but this is just a single little noise he makes sometimes. All his behavior is normal for him and his brother who he is housed with.
    Edit: I also give them calcium supplement when feeding, or if they won’t eat it (they don’t much like the calcium powder) I got calcium drops I can put in their water from a veterinarian because I was worried about their health without regular supplement.

Nationality
    [United States]

Forgot to hit the reply button, my reply is above.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cantAbscond View Post
    I do not hurt him and I make extra sure I am careful when touching him. I wash my hands in hot water, air dry, then lightly spray my hands with their spring water so I don’t dry him or remove any essential mucus or anything. He’s kept in a tank with coconut fiber frog dirt, Moss, and given spring water only for bowl and misting. I feed them a variety of foods like crickets, super and meal worms, earth worms, and rarely wax worms when stores are sold out of everything else in winter. The humidity I do not know for sure, but I make sure their dirt is always moist (not soaked) and I mist multiple times daily. He has no issues eating, drinking, moving, etc. From the day I got him (wild caught) about half a year ago, he would do this same squeak. He used to do it when the sun rose and he was on top of the dirt, so we thought it was annoyance. I do not believe he is sick in the slightest because he shows 0 signs and has been doing it for a long time, maybe 1 or 2 times every 2 weeks. Although this is the first time in over 2 months he’s done it. If it wasn’t a nightmare, I believe he’s telling me he’s cold because his tank is by a window and it’s winter. We keep the home around 70 degrees or upwards, and hey have a small side heater due to the window in winter. It gets no colder than 65 in their tank. I moved his tank away from the window and he seems much more content now. I’ll be honest, if you knew this toad, he is a huge baby and gets scared of his own shadow. I would take him to a special vet if I had any signs he was sick, but this is just a single little noise he makes sometimes. All his behavior is normal for him and his brother who he is housed with.
    Edit: I also give them calcium supplement when feeding, or if they won’t eat it (they don’t much like the calcium powder) I got calcium drops I can put in their water from a veterinarian because I was worried about their health without regular supplement.
    American toads should not be afraid of their own shadow and they tolerate temperatures into the 50s so this does not sound like a healthy toad. in the summertime I was keeping my toads in the low 60s for most of the summer. They are more of a Kohler tolerant amphibian but adapt with their surroundings so there's no reason to believe it 65 a toad would be cold.

Superworms and mealworms are not good to feed amphibians. It's good that you feed crickets and stuff but it would be a lot better for the Toads if you want away from the mealworms and superworms.

it could be an internal injury or the toad could have neurological problems. Toads do not normally show signs right away sometimes they happen over time and it could be catastrophic whenever they do I have seen both where toads have gone healthy for a long periods of time and they have fallen ill overnight.

I have been keeping toads for years and they do not make those noises because of light or just at random. Keep us updated on the behavior this toad!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information