Thread: Found a Gray tree frog in a house plant, please help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Question Found a Gray tree frog in a house plant, please help!

We found a grey tree frog in the Christmas cactus, pretty sure he was hibernating as he was buried a bit. We didn't want the cats getting to him so we moved him to a 5 gallon tank. Gave him some plants and a stick to climb on and the substrate is coconut fiber. Something I am stuck on is should I get him a heat lamp and how often should I try to feed him, I think he is hibernating again? He seems to just hang out in one corner and not move, I think he is trying to sleep for the winter again. Should I let him sleep and not get a heat lamp? I offered meal worms but he didn't even react... I plan on releasing him once it's no longer cold also, if I am in the northern Illinois area what month should I do that? I just want to make sure the little guy is comfortable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Found a Gray tree frog in a house plant, please help!

The frog isn't hibernating, however it may be somewhat lethargic due to the cool weather and short days. You don't need a heat lamp unless your house is exceptionally cold. Too much heat isn't good for this species, and a heat lamp will dry out their enclosure.
    You should study this care sheet:
    https://ourreptileforum.com/communit...e-frogs.17159/

Meal worms are a poor food choice, crickets are much more nutritious and appealing to the frogs. It may not eat much this time of year.
    Under no circumstances should you ever release this frog. For one, that is a good way to introduce disease and pathogens into the wild population. For another, it may not survive the new habitat. And, since you don't really know where the frog originated, you would be causing genetic pollution of the local frogs, if the released frog reproduced with them.

4. This member thanks Herpin Man for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
    The frog isn't hibernating, however it may be somewhat lethargic due to the cool weather and short days. You don't need a heat lamp unless your house is exceptionally cold. Too much heat isn't good for this species, and a heat lamp will dry out their enclosure.
    You should study this care sheet:
    https://ourreptileforum.com/communit...e-frogs.17159/

Meal worms are a poor food choice, crickets are much more nutritious and appealing to the frogs. It may not eat much this time of year.
    Under no circumstances should you ever release this frog. For one, that is a good way to introduce disease and pathogens into the wild population. For another, it may not survive the new habitat. And, since you don't really know where the frog originated, you would be causing genetic pollution of the local frogs, if the released frog reproduced with them.
    I am very excited to see you shared my care sheet!

I have an update to the care sheet if you will.

Use the supplement in the picture I'll post below. You can research it if you want but this can help your tree frogs and any amphibian for that matter to thrive!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi sorry for not replying, I ran out and bought her some crickets after reading and forgot haha. She is doing well so you know c:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It also depends on what your state says if you can release it or not. My state after so much time says I cannot release a wild adult amphibian.

There may be some freedom since it was on private property but definitely check what your state says about it first.

Good luck!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I dont know much about gray treefrogs. Pacifics are very social and do a lot better with a friend or two. So you may want to on the lookout for another frog or a few to join your new friend. If you feed crickets, would dust them with calcium/D3 powder.

Thread Information