Thread: A very worried frog mum!!

Default A very worried frog mum!!

Hi all! I'm completely new to the housing of amphibians of any kind (started two days ago) and forums in general to be honest, so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong spot. I just got my first Pac-Man Frog, and I've named him Zacharie! He's about the size of a dollar coin (such a little man I love him) and has not refused food yet. He likes to hide in the substrate, which I understand is very normal! But I keep fretting and thinking he's died because I can't see his breathing or heartbeat. It's so hard to resist the urge to poke, and I'll admit I sometimes uncover him a tad to check if he's breathing or not - it doesn't look like he is! I'm sure if I reached in and grabbed him he'd give me some indication as to his state, but I don't want to manhandle the poor guy! How do I tell for sure if he's dead or just being lazy without freaking him out?

Many thanks!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A very worried frog mum!!

Welcome to the hobby, here is a bit of information you may find helpful.

Amphibian respiration is extremely different from human respiration. Oxygen is absorbed through the skin in part and almost exclusively in some species such as lungless salamanders. In addition, Frogs also lack a diaphragm and draw air internally to their lungs by inflating and deflating the spot below the jaw. Therefore you won’t see the “chest” expand and contract the way it would in mammals. Amphibians on the whole also have slow metabolisms and are generally tolerant of handling lower oxygen levels in their environment (hypoxia) than mammals. Therefore they don’t need the active more evolved respitory system we humans have.

All this said, remember that frogs are not going to show vital signs the way humans and other mammals do. “Pac-Man” frogs are ambush predators, hence their sedentary habits, and odds are your frog is just fine. There is no need to dig up or poke your frog constantly as it’s behaviors are completely normal. This will only stress it.

There are a lot of posts here recommending handling, digging up and otherwise constantly disrupting captive frogs to feed, check or interact. I advise against these since it serves no practical purpose and causes undue stress. As time passes you’ll know your frogs routine and if something does go wrong you will know the when time to act is. Clear eyes and skin, good appetite and a “plump” appearance are all signs of a heathy horned frog. Good luck and again welcome.

Good Morning,

It is very normal for new Pacmans to immediately burrow in the substrate for the first day or two.

This is because its a new environment for them and they want to feel safe and protected.

Just make sure you keep the substrate misted twice a day using either dechlorinated water or distilled water to both help keep the humidity in check as well as making sure the substrate doesn't dry out.

temps should never dip below 65°F. During the day you want it to be around 75°F or higher.

I recommend feeding baby packmans live small dusted crickets only because superworms and meals worms have hard shells that could potentially impact a baby frog.

Note: the food needs to be live because amphibians/reptiles don't like eating dead food unless they're in a desperate state or trained to do so.

Pacmans, like most amphibians, will be more active during the night however you can always check during the day if he's out or moved to a new location.

Best of luck!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

I understand your need for checking him, but as long as he is sitting and has clear eyes, he will be OK. There isn't much you can do if he isn't OK and then dies, I'm sorry to say. Follow the advice on feeding and so on, and you will be doing everything you can to keep him happy. If he dies, you will know it just by looking at him, unless he is completely dug down and covered by substrate. He won't be sitting any more, he will be kind of deflated. No need to poke him if he is sitting up.

Thread Information