Thread: Odd skin on frog?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Question Odd skin on frog?

I have kept a few frogs over the years, so I know that what I'm seeing and feeling isn't normal... or at least doesn't seem normal to me.

One of my frogs have a sticky skin, rather than wet froglike skin. It's sticky in a way that will end up on my hands and it makes the substrate stick to the skin as well, making the frog look dirty and dark. The frog is a Kaloula pulchra, hopefully female, and is the only one of any Kaloula I've kept that has this kind of skin. None of my red banded rubber frogs have that kind of skin, not even my false tomato frog. I've never seen it in any of the wild Ranids here in Sweden either.

I thought it might go away, but I've had her over a year now, and she is eating fine, looking good otherwise, but the skin is still sticky.

Has anyone ever seen this on any kind of frog? If so, what is the cause and is there a treatement?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Odd skin on frog?

It’s normal and acts as a predatory deterrent although there are no known toxins present. Amphibiaweb.org has a good article about the species if your curious.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: Odd skin on frog?

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    It’s normal and acts as a predatory deterrent although there are no known toxins present. Amphibiaweb.org has a good article about the species if your curious.
    Thanks for the reply, but....
    I have had Kaloulas for years, some made it, others didn't, and I've looked over a few potential new purchases, and none has ever had the sticky skin the frog in question has. No other frog I have ever met, has ever had that kind of sticky skin either.

The skin is constantly sticky, in the way that the substrate sticks to the skin, so as deterrent, it certainly doesn't work.

I thought when I bought "her" (it's hard to tell the gender) that the stickyness would go away when she felt safe or at home, but not so. I don't know if she sheds, but then I have never seen my Kaloulas shed since they like to burrow and then take a bath. She isn't eating as much as Mr. Kaloula does, but then he has always been a glutton. I think I've had him for 7 or 8 years by now, and I've had her for more than a year.

Thread Information