I rescued a one-eyed American toad (appropriately named One-Eye) about 6 or 7 months ago, and I am beginning to grow concerned I am not properly caring for his, what we call, “no eye”. He is about 2 inches in size and very plump and healthy, and lives in a tank with a lot of live moss and coconut substrate fiber. The dirt is very loose so it gets a little too close to his no-eye for my comfort and I try to carefully spray him with spring water to clean it away from it. His missing eye is, and always has been, slightly open where you can look in and see an empty socket and some bone. I am unsure if it was caused by injury or from birth, but he can “blink” it and it can react similar to his normal eye in that respect. I’m just growing paranoid that dirt may get into it or that I am doing something wrong that may cause infection. He has no special treatment really, and doesn’t react any different than my two-eyed American toad, but I want to make sure he gets the proper care and that I’m not missing anything. Attached is an up-close if his face to show his eye and lack thereof.

Name:  EA62A40C-6A1A-49D5-ACE0-3BBFC4A3CF77.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  96.8 KB
(Also, I call him a boy but am actually unsure. If you can tell from this image I’d be grateful lol. He shows male behavior but physically more female attributes.)