Thread: New family member

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New family member

Got this little guy and i was wondering if i should take him out to feed or just put his food in his tank. I already feed my pixie out of its tank and didn't know if its the best way for a pacman.
    Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Name:  20181201_164827.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  217.9 KB
    Name:  20181201_135623.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  163.4 KBName:  IMG-20181201-WA0012.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  189.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New family member

If he will feed outside of his tank then you can certainly do that to minimize substrate ingestion. Some frogs stressed from being handled/moved to a container and won't want to eat afterwards, so I think it's definitely an individual thing. You should be fine feeding him in his tank since you have coco coir as the substrate. Good luck with the new frog!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by mysterythought View Post
    If he will feed outside of his tank then you can certainly do that to minimize substrate ingestion. Some frogs stressed from being handled/moved to a container and won't want to eat afterwards, so I think it's definitely an individual thing. You should be fine feeding him in his tank since you have coco coir as the substrate. Good luck with the new frog!
    Thats great. I'll give it a try and see how we get on. Thanks for your help.

What size tank? What I do with one of my small ones is use cardboard to block a small section of the 5 gallon and let 2 or 3 crickets go. Remove my furniture for crickets because they will hide in it.

I got my first at that size

My first one i overfed. He ate crickets for 2 weeks strait every day and got weird.

I would go 3 days between feeding You could even go 4 sometimes. I personally would start on small thawed pinkies too. But maybe wait longer between feedings with mice. 3 large crickets or two pinkies per feeding every 3 days is what I heard from several people from undergroundreptile.com

If yours feeds in a sepeate tank go for it but I had bad luck with that. I just pack down the peat moss and usually they dont eat alot..

These things are tough I have a baby who I force fed two dubia one day and three days later her was eating crickets aggressively. I find feeding them to be the biggest challenge.

I'm guessing they use docile parents for breeding because they eat each other during breeding if they get aggressive.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by SmallAmphibian View Post
    What size tank? What I do with one of my small ones is use cardboard to block a small section of the 5 gallon and let 2 or 3 crickets go. Remove my furniture for crickets because they will hide in it.

I got my first at that size

My first one i overfed. He ate crickets for 2 weeks strait every day and got weird.

I would go 3 days between feeding You could even go 4 sometimes. I personally would start on small thawed pinkies too. But maybe wait longer between feedings with mice. 3 large crickets or two pinkies per feeding every 3 days is what I heard from several people from undergroundreptile.com

If yours feeds in a sepeate tank go for it but I had bad luck with that. I just pack down the peat moss and usually they dont eat alot..

These things are tough I have a baby who I force fed two dubia one day and three days later her was eating crickets aggressively. I find feeding them to be the biggest challenge.

I'm guessing they use docile parents for breeding because they eat each other during breeding if they get aggressive.
    Hey. He's in a 45x45 cm exo (different measurement over here haha) which i know is big. He doesn't seem to like being taken out to feed and wee's in the tub and doesn't go for the crickets. He has cleared his bowels a couple of times this week so he is eating something as i have left a few crickets in with him . Im going to give your cardboard method a try and see how we get on.
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin j View Post
    Hey. He's in a 45x45 cm exo (different measurement over here haha) which i know is big. He doesn't seem to like being taken out to feed and wee's in the tub and doesn't go for the crickets. He has cleared his bowels a couple of times this week so he is eating something as i have left a few crickets in with him . Im going to give your cardboard method a try and see how we get on.
    Thanks for your help.
    Cool beans. They say you shouldnt leave crickets in there without keeping a eye on them but if the crickets are fed well I wouldnt worry about leaving some in over night. I have heard of people's frogs getting bit up by hungry crickets though. Good luck!

Also when you say he Pottys when you take him out thats just them releasing water not literally a bathroom. I think they do that when they're a bit scared though

Thread Information