Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

  1. #1
    Newbie gamecube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4

    Question Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Hi there!

    I have a young American Toad that I've been caring for since August. This is my first venture in herpetology and I've been on these forums a lot for information.

    Recently, I took Sweet Pea to the vet because she had been behaving unusually and I was worried she was too bloated. It turned out she had impaction and the vet prescribed a laxative to give her daily. She also found on the X-ray that Sweet Pea had little to no bone growth mid way down her limbs. I have since learned through my own research that this is probably metabolic bone disorder (MBD). My vet did not suggest doing anything other than lighting her cage daily with UVB.

    About two weeks have passed since the vet visit and the laxatives have seemed to work in helping her pass the impaction (I don't feel the hard mass that used to be in the center of her belly). However, she has had no interest in food during this time. I have stopped giving her the laxative, I called my vet and she agreed that it may inhibit her appetite. I am still wondering about treating her MBD but I don't feel confident that my vet can help me here.

    Does anyone have experience with treating it? I read about using liquid calcium soaks (Flukers) and am interested in trying this. Currently, she just has the UVB light which she sits under all day, staying semi-buried in different parts of her habitat. If there are any suggestions for how/what I could feed her while she is uninterested, I would appreciate that too!
    Sweet Pea American Toad
    (August 18, 2018)

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,228

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Quote Originally Posted by gamecube View Post
    Hi there!

    I have a young American Toad that I've been caring for since August. This is my first venture in herpetology and I've been on these forums a lot for information.

    Recently, I took Sweet Pea to the vet because she had been behaving unusually and I was worried she was too bloated. It turned out she had impaction and the vet prescribed a laxative to give her daily. She also found on the X-ray that Sweet Pea had little to no bone growth mid way down her limbs. I have since learned through my own research that this is probably metabolic bone disorder (MBD). My vet did not suggest doing anything other than lighting her cage daily with UVB.

    About two weeks have passed since the vet visit and the laxatives have seemed to work in helping her pass the impaction (I don't feel the hard mass that used to be in the center of her belly). However, she has had no interest in food during this time. I have stopped giving her the laxative, I called my vet and she agreed that it may inhibit her appetite. I am still wondering about treating her MBD but I don't feel confident that my vet can help me here.

    Does anyone have experience with treating it? I read about using liquid calcium soaks (Flukers) and am interested in trying this. Currently, she just has the UVB light which she sits under all day, staying semi-buried in different parts of her habitat. If there are any suggestions for how/what I could feed her while she is uninterested, I would appreciate that too!
    If you could take your toad out and put it in a small or quarantine enclosure and allow UVB light on it then the UVB could affect the toad even more. Soak the toad and warm water allow it to soak and have UVB lighting on it for unusual daylight cycle so around 7 to 12 hours. If you use wax worms it will help build fat as well as be something soft for the toad to eat. If that doesn't work a butter worm is bigger and it might because it also has a distinct smell. Let me know if this helps. If you keep it at room temperature meaning around 75 it also would help.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Newbie gamecube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Thank you! I'm ordering some wax worms now.

    Do you find that UVB light treatment is enough to get them healthy again?
    Sweet Pea American Toad
    (August 18, 2018)

  5. #4
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,228

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Quote Originally Posted by gamecube View Post
    Thank you! I'm ordering some wax worms now.

    Do you find that UVB light treatment is enough to get them healthy again?
    I think there are a few things that need to be done to get them healthy again. The UVB, soaking them, offering food and getting their weight up these are all important! Make sure to add supplements to feeders so they are more nutritious.

    I hope your toad makes a big turnaround! I wish you good luck! If you need to ask more questions I'll do my best to help you!

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  6. #5

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Would calcium help recover from MBD? From what I can tell, most amphibians really dont NEED much UVB. I know that dart frogs dont and there is controversy is whites should have it because of the small benifit it does give them. Im not experienced in any way and dont have a frog, but I think more calcium is the way to go

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,228

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotund Frogo View Post
    Would calcium help recover from MBD? From what I can tell, most amphibians really dont NEED much UVB. I know that dart frogs dont and there is controversy is whites should have it because of the small benifit it does give them. Im not experienced in any way and dont have a frog, but I think more calcium is the way to go

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Whites do benefit from the UVB as most animals get the rays and it helps to build the immune system and produce calcium. Yes Rep Cal and Repashy Calcium Plus together on prey will also increase the odds of overcoming MBD.

    I use UVB for tree frogs and I don't have the lid to really use UVB to add add as an additional light source. I have to use plexiglass because my tank is a 125 gallon and they don't make reptile lids for that model.

    I do find it more beneficial then a risk. I hope this helps. I would be happy to help you if you have more questions.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Newbie gamecube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Hi again. I'm still not having any luck getting her interested in eating. I ordered some wax worms and have ended up smashing them into a paste that I can feed her through a syringe, just to give her some kind of nutrition. She was very gaunt and weak this morning so I'm getting very worried. I'm not sure how to get her healthy again; she has the UVB bulb 12 hours a day and I have been soaking her in water with Flukers Liquid Calcium.
    Sweet Pea American Toad
    (August 18, 2018)

  9. #8
    100+ Post Member Larry Wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,228

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Quote Originally Posted by gamecube View Post
    Hi again. I'm still not having any luck getting her interested in eating. I ordered some wax worms and have ended up smashing them into a paste that I can feed her through a syringe, just to give her some kind of nutrition. She was very gaunt and weak this morning so I'm getting very worried. I'm not sure how to get her healthy again; she has the UVB bulb 12 hours a day and I have been soaking her in water with Flukers Liquid Calcium.
    Hello sorry to hear that you're having some issues still. It could be really hard to get a toad to eat around this time especially whatever they are supposed to be hibernating. It just messes with their internal clocks. One thing that you can do now is either increase the temperature a little bit and increase the humidity to try and get the toad to think that it's in a warmer season.

    You might end up having to keep feeding by opening the Toads mouth for a while. I know it sucks but that might be the only way to go until the toad gets strong enough and healthy enough to want to eat on its own.

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Newbie gamecube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Thanks for your continued help, Larry.

    Unfortunately, she continued to decline quickly and passed away last night.
    Sweet Pea American Toad
    (August 18, 2018)

  11. #10
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Am sorry to hear he didnt make it.

  12. #11
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    101

    Default Re: Treating Possible Metabolic Bone Disorder (MBD) for American Toad

    Am sorry to hear he didnt make it. Am also trying to rehab a toad with MBD and am hoping for the best.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with treating fungus on American bullfrog? and/or pond
    By Saints Fan in forum Forum Questions & Workings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 7th, 2017, 04:55 PM
  2. Symptoms of MBD- metabolic bone disease
    By flybyferns in forum Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th, 2013, 07:58 AM
  4. Metabolic Bone Disease?
    By Aimee in forum Aquatic Clawed Frogs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •