Thread: Fungus Gnats

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Fungus Gnats

Just a quick question. Just recently I have noticed an increase in the fungus gnat population in my vivariums. Its not a swarm yet but I don't want them in there period. I know they are harmless to the frog but I'm worried about the larvae in the soil possible eating the roots. I live in Indiana so when winter comes and the heaters turn on, the humidity in the house plummets. I have thought about letting the soil dry out a bit but with the red eyes and whites they need a little bit of humidity and if i don't mist the enclosures in the morning they get to about 20-30% by the time I get home from work. I also don't want to change the soil right now as the plants have already been through a lot of moving recently and my springtail and isopod cultures are just starting to take hold. So my question is besides trying to get rid of as many of the adults as possible by using the yellow fly tape outside of the enclosures what else have you had success with in getting rid of them? Are there any predatory bugs that I can put in there to eat the larvae (which would be difficult because I assume they would prey on the springtails as well, I'm not much of an insect expert) As of right now my only option is to keep using the fly tape and place a humidifier with distilled water fairly close to the tanks and let the soil dry a bit. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Fungus Gnats

I swear I couldn't find any posts about them until I made this posting and they popped up on the "similar threads" so I apologize. Reading through them now.

Thread Information