How do you guys all have your vivs set up for heating? (pictures would be great for reference)

I'm not used to tall vivs, so i've been playing around with heating before adding a frog. I've noticed that there is a 5-8 degree difference in the temp up top and the temp at the bottom. I'm assuming that's normal, or at least okay, since the frog can go up/down to get warmer/cooler? And they'll go down to eat and stuff at night? I have a thermometer in both places to keep track, i was just wondering....

Do you guys keep your bulbs on a thermostat, and if so does the constant on/off of the basking/heating bulbs annoy the frog (or you?) Has anyone just used a low watt CHE instead of the basking bulbs (along with the UVB during the day of course) to control the heat? If i use a thermostat, i assume i put the sensor closer to the top of the tank?

I'm totally new to this, if you couldn't tell!

What's an easy beginner frog, too? I really want a RETF but (if you read my other post) i'm hesitant to try again and i've read that they can be tricky, so if there's another type of frog that would be better to try first i'm open to that as well!