Thread: Frog having trouble eating

Default Frog having trouble eating

I've had my pacman since March, and throughout the year he's been eating and passing just fine. However, over the past couple months I've noticed him not eating as ferocious as he used to. I've had him since he was a wee froglet, and at the time I fed him only small dusted crickets daily. He's about three inches now and I've been feeding him 3 dusted superworms every other day for maybe 5 months with some variation in the feeding schedule and amount. He has had trouble with passing stool before but I've taken care of it each time and he is a pretty healthy frog from what he lets on. Anyways, often when I feed him nowadays, he just opens his mouth and sits there waiting for me to put the food into his mouth. Other times he just isn't in the mood to eat. That would be fine but he doesn't bite down very hard and it looks like he struggles when he eats. I switched back to crickets today and when I fed him one he struggled greatly to eat it and just acted lethargic like he really wasn't hungry and that he was just eating so I could leave him alone again. Outside of eating, he's kind of an active frog. He isn't lethargic in motion or crawling or even hopping, but when he eats he just loses that energy. Could I be over feeding him? I'm not sure what to do and it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Frog having trouble eating

I'm not a pro, but I definitely would eliminate or severely limit superworms. Too chitinous and could cause impaction. I hope he does ok!

Hey brother I know this us frustrating if you havent seen my thread two under yours.

I would say you are definitely over feeding at this point. Once they hit a half year old, feed every 3 to 4 days max is how you should feed him

Also 1 pinky mouse is better than a few super worms any day. From my understanding adult frogs your size are fed pinkies exclusively every 3 to 4 days by professional breeders.

I called a the breeder and talked to several of their expert pac breeders. Even baby froglets only get fed every 3 days by them

Super worms are never ever reccomended for these frogs.

I was feeding crickets but I hate how fast these things move.

What I would reccomend is go to the website dubia deli and pick up a bunch of dubia. Also go to Ebay and grab some nightcrawlers, theres a great seller from Ohio who seems great. My worms are coming today

These are probably the two single best types of bugs you can feed your frog. Dubia roaches and nightcrawler worms

I also read dubia are really easy to make your own colony. Then you have the best free food for life for your frog.

Also look in your area for live pinky mice. One should suffice as a meal for him.

I got all this info from a professional breeder. You will find people on these forum telling u to feed your frog every day. I'd say never listen to that advice. Your taking advice from someone with a hobby frog compared to someone who breeds them for a living.

3 days for froglets and 4 days for adults. They told me only feed two appropriate sized bugs during feeding time.

Do a lukewarm water/some honey bath make sure he poos those super worms then start taking the above advice

If you want to confirm what I said, call Underground Reptiles in Florida. They will tell you exactly what I did. Dont be shy they are super polite and will give you better info than anything u can find here guaranteed

5. 2 members thank SmallAmphibian for this post:

Also to expand on my above post. I also just bought another albino pac, a baby bout a week ago waited 3 days to feed it after picking him up.

I only had crickets and super worms while I wait for my dubia roaches. Put 3 super worms right in front of him, he took absolutely no interest. The crickets just ran off and hid in his decorations. I was like dang...

After like 30 minutes I found a odd beetle in the super worm container. I was like eh why not tossed it in front of my albino pac

This beetle was slower than the crickets but moved more than the super slow super worms. HE IMMEDIATELY Lunged at this BEETLE! But didnt eat it I was like hmmm..

So I grabbed a cardboard box and put paper towels at the bottom. Grabbed my baby albino and put him in the box. Started tossing little crickets in his face. He ate two crickets within a couple minutes aggressively.

I'm convinced these frogs like the chase of a moving bug more than a slow bug or tong fed. And this was a brand new frog 3 days off the airplane and he wasnt stressed at all eating in a separate container.

So yeah, I picked up a 16 Lx 11 W x 11 H plastic bin for more options to feed my pacs. Feeding in a seperate container seems to not cause additional stress and makes it way harder for crickets (or dubias) to run and hide.

Just a thought brother good luck! I am more of a newbie to these frogs than you are but like I said all this info I got from real pac pros and a hint of personal experience

7. This member thanks SmallAmphibian for this post:

Thank you so much! He's going on a few days break right now and he seems ok. I'm definitely going to consider dubias, and I'll absolutely get started on pinkies. A few days ago before I got started on crickets again, I gave him a honey bath and that cleared him right out. He's gone 2 days without eating since I last fed him. I had no idea that superworms were bad for these little fatties so thanks for the help. I'll update on his behavior once this gets sorted out.

Yep, superworms are completely out of the picture now! I've learned my lesson with the digestive ordeals they cause. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
    Yep, superworms are completely out of the picture now! I've learned my lesson with the digestive ordeals they cause. Thank you so much!
    Hey vinegar how is the frog doing? Get it to eat any?

I now have dubias, Canadian nightworms, froze pinkies and crickets so I have all bases covered lol

My juvenile frog still needs force fed. Hope he eats on his soon but I'll force feed him his whole life if I must lol. He pood in some warm water last night so hes healthy enough I guess.

My baby albino last time I tried seperate container feeding wanted nothing to do with it this time! These darn frogs are so picky lol. Did get him to eat a single cricket in his enclosure though.

I'm not as happy with how the dubias act as I thought I would be. They either play dead, run really fast or burrow on the dirt faster than I can see.

Going to try another feeding tonight for both.

Anyway I would like to know how your guy is doing. Keep me updated

CREATURE REPORT!!

Ok so I gave my two frogs 30 minutes to try to feed with just dropping food in their cage..and nothing

Adter I Tried a seperate enclosure feeding for my baby albino...didnt eat anything. Just gave up and put him back.

My juvenile got force fed yet again...tried a big dubia but the stupid thing escaped his mouth. Forced a big Canadian crawler and he gobbled that up.

I'm used to lizards, they're aggressive and easy to feed...these frogs are kind of a pain lol...like i said albino are good second day off the plane now he wont touch anything...so confusing

Hope I get good at caring for these darn things some day lol

Well its official. I am force feeding both my frogs now. My juvenile is noticeably bigger since I started force feeding him. He ate a pinky and a dubia today.

Saw a video of a Japanese guy with a bunch of huge pacs throwing them in a sink with tap water handling them quite a bit. They all looked super healthy. Havent heard of a pac dying from being handled/force fed every 3 days so so far so good lol.

Thread Information