Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New PA Woods Vivarium (Gray Tree Frogs)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New PA Woods Vivarium (Gray Tree Frogs)

This is basically a large update

So there is a lot going on right now with Frog Week and good news for Pious. I'll start with Pious. He began eating normally and he got the dewormer finally. His rash is going away and he's passing the nematodes. I saw he had a lot so I'm very happy he's getting rid of them. He's actually starting to grow and he was shedding tonight. So maybe one more dose and Pious may be able to go with Ace again. I see the healthy animals are growing in very fast rates so I can't imagine how large Wellsboro is going to get when healthy. He's still larger then Ace and he may actually reach record length for a male. It's possible for him and that could possibly a threat to anything living with him. Ace is the Guardian of the West and Wellsboro is going to be the Guardian of the rest.

So Frog Week is really going strong but also I have found out a lot of info from herpetologists and it's good but I'm not entirely excited about all of it. So the good news is there is one area we are almost done with filming and covering one species. The area is booming with life and that's good. But the area is being deforested heavily and it's difficult to see. The group involved with filming agreed this is going to be a site we will watch diligently to see what happens to the frogs. That's hard to see such a big population that could be threatened or even go extinct. This will be a big feature in Frog Week.

The next thing I learned is of the ranavirus and chytrid. These are known frog killers and I was educated that they are everywhere but not necessarily together in every area. I learned specific species can live without problems having ranavirus and some die. My amphibians are able to cope and thrive with ranavirus. Not bragging at all and some specimens will pass away even if the species can tolerate the virus. So I learned the entire northeast has both in their area. From the Carolinas to New England. I didn't research beyond the mountains. So this is not the greatest news but it's good to know that the frogs have coped with the virus. I was also informed that it's when frogs or amphibians for that matter have both that is when mortality occurrs.

I also learned the truth to a question I've searched for getting into the hobby about hibernation and I don't think I want to share about the info yet. I have to call a zoo for more information about the topic but it's something that is very important for what I'm doing but I'll release this much later. Or maybe not if I'm not allowed.

So good news overall but some news that's not going to make someone jump up and down.

I'm going to be leaving my job as I have found another one that pays more so I'll make sure to still do weekend updates but they may come out earlier in the day.

Edit
    My frogs and toads do not have ranavirus. The toads and tree frogs are clean. I just wanted to make that clear

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A brief update...
    So I covered the big stuff from the update earlier in the week. There isn't too much to report on differently. Frog Week is becoming more developed and thought out and Pious is doing better daily. The Gray Army is also doing well and so are Ace and Wellsboro.

The biggest update now is that I can confirm that Josh's Frogs is 100% going to support Frog Week. This will introduce the project more nationally and will bring conservation of the native species to many all across the country and hopefully to accomplish the goal which is to make people care about frogs. I will have more information on this tomorrow but also the big update is the filming will be finishing up and Kingdoms Episode 2 will be coming out soon!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Weekly Update...
    So as promised I will be switching the days that I release the updates on the animals. The Five Lined Dumpy Family (exotic animals) will have updates on their feeding days Tuesday or Thursday. The native species will have updates on Monday or Wednesday on their feeding schedule. This way the most information I find usually comes at feeding days so updating you on those days may be better for everyone.

Pious has basically finished treatment and has one last 3 day stretch of dewormer to go and he's literally done. He went to the vets yesterday for the check-up and he gained more weight then Ace and Bane in his rehab. He gained 13 more grams in 2-3 weeks! He looked like he was not doing so well but I'm assuming he was just passing the worms and it was bothering him. But in a few weeks Ace and Pious will be reunited as the first to get back together of all the native animals. It will be interesting to see how Ace interacts with Pious. She's like a little flapjack! She is a little pudgy but she's taking advantage of being in quarantine. She eats every or every other day and when back in the 125 gallon will have only 2 days of feeding. So she's taking advantage of the system. I am hoping she will not be aggressive with Pious and it should work out. I know she will eat more then him but we will see how that goes now that they are both healthy. We will see if toads can bond and stay bonded over time with this story. I need to see how Ace is with aggressive behavior.
    Ace holds the key to potentially one of the largest surprises that I have for you.

Bane is solid and doing great. He's chubby and is happy as well. Nothing new to report he's just living usually.

Christian is steady and putting weight on. We actually believe Christian was or is carrying a parasite that infected everyone around him. He is doing great and everyone else has had to severely recover from a parasite outbreak. Soil nematodes were the main problem but so were some other parasites and no other animal was able to handle them. It's not Christians fault and we can't prove this until it's his turn to go to the vet but it's a topic of discussion right now.

Wellsboro has gone to the vet and he's not in the best shape. The parasites wouldn't let him hold weight and he's thin. We gave him one dewormer and an antibiotic so he actually turned gold which is his normal color. That's a good sign. He's pretty sick but he is going through the same treatment Ace, Pious and Bane all went through. 3 have survived and look very impressive and now it's his turn. He needed it more then just about everyone else so it's about time he got to see the vet. Because of having so much medicine from Ace and Bane he benefits because he has Almost enough medicine to last 2 months which he should in theory be recovered by then. I also have been through tough protocol with the others so he has the benefit of me being able to accommodate him. Wellsboro has a bright future and he's going to be okay. I'm planning once I build his home that he is going to be the headline of his enclosure when I record it. I am literally building an enclosure this winter starting with and only Wellsboro. So I'm building around him. That's not a bad get well present for him lol

Hopefully I will be able soon to start getting parts for the 125 gallon. I am getting a stand for it first so potentially I'll save some money for it in each check. I'm slowly catching up to the vet bills. The most important pieces are the stand first then the plexiglass lid. It will have to be designed for everything to fit and will take some time to get. That's on the agenda in the next few months. I'd like to have the 125 gallon built before Frog Week.

Do you think Ace and Pious will pick up where they left off or do you think they will be completely different towards one another?

Do you think Christian is carrying a parasite?

Are you excited to know that Ace and Pious will be included in Frog Week?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey guys! Checkout the Gray tree frogs new storyline and thread in the link below
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information