Thread: I need some help with a wild american toad

Nationality
    [United States]

Question I need some help with a wild american toad

So I live in Minnesota and for years I have had toads all over my yard and every once in a while, I find toads in my basement (When my husband leaves a window open). It's not normally a big deal I just pick the toad up and take it back outside and leave them in my raspberry patch next to the house. But we found one in the basement a week ago and our ground is frozen outside! So we have decided to keep him until spring when the ground thaws.
    My issue is this guy doesn't seem to want to eat. We bought him some worms from the local bait shop which he refuses to eat. Wild bugs are obviously out of the question at this time of year. He has just been sitting in his water and is now quite lethargic. I am working on setting him up a proper tank but it's slow going because my 37g is filled with ice. I orderd some crickets that should be in soon. If he is just trying to hibernate that is totally fine, I just don't want the little guy to die. We are doing our best not to handle him. how do I tell if he's dying or if he's just trying to hibernate? If not how do I get him to eat.
    He was chirping the first few days and then he stopped. I am truly trying to do my best for him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I need some help with a wild american toad

Quote Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
    So I live in Minnesota and for years I have had toads all over my yard and every once in a while, I find toads in my basement (When my husband leaves a window open). It's not normally a big deal I just pick the toad up and take it back outside and leave them in my raspberry patch next to the house. But we found one in the basement a week ago and our ground is frozen outside! So we have decided to keep him until spring when the ground thaws.
    My issue is this guy doesn't seem to want to eat. We bought him some worms from the local bait shop which he refuses to eat. Wild bugs are obviously out of the question at this time of year. He has just been sitting in his water and is now quite lethargic. I am working on setting him up a proper tank but it's slow going because my 37g is filled with ice. I orderd some crickets that should be in soon. If he is just trying to hibernate that is totally fine, I just don't want the little guy to die. We are doing our best not to handle him. how do I tell if he's dying or if he's just trying to hibernate? If not how do I get him to eat.
    He was chirping the first few days and then he stopped. I am truly trying to do my best for him.
    Hello,
    I think you are doing good with the toad. It may just want to go dormant so give it deep soil and let it burrow if it wants. Use supplements to make the meal nutritious. If you can bring it to an area in the 70's it would help.

Once you've had it for so long over this winter you should probably keep it.

Hope it does well. Give us updates!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Loved reading your story. I used to take pacific treefrogs outside constantly when i lived on a ranch until i got the message thatt they considered the kitchen theirs and i made them a pond insude. During breeding season, they would just go back outside. Am hoping your toad does very well.

Nationality
    [United States]

how is the toad doing?

Thread Information