So I live in Minnesota and for years I have had toads all over my yard and every once in a while, I find toads in my basement (When my husband leaves a window open). It's not normally a big deal I just pick the toad up and take it back outside and leave them in my raspberry patch next to the house. But we found one in the basement a week ago and our ground is frozen outside! So we have decided to keep him until spring when the ground thaws.
My issue is this guy doesn't seem to want to eat. We bought him some worms from the local bait shop which he refuses to eat. Wild bugs are obviously out of the question at this time of year. He has just been sitting in his water and is now quite lethargic. I am working on setting him up a proper tank but it's slow going because my 37g is filled with ice. I orderd some crickets that should be in soon. If he is just trying to hibernate that is totally fine, I just don't want the little guy to die. We are doing our best not to handle him. how do I tell if he's dying or if he's just trying to hibernate? If not how do I get him to eat.
He was chirping the first few days and then he stopped. I am truly trying to do my best for him.