Thread: Newbie w/ a Brazilian Horned Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Newbie w/ a Brazilian Horned Frog

Hi all!

I'm a newbie to this site and to pacman/horned frogs, however, I have had many amphibians in the past and currently have a tiger salamander.

A few months back I picked up a Brazilian Horned Frog, and I love this thing. Feeding time is so much fun! Anyhow, I was hoping for a little guidance on his/her enclosure.

I currently have it in a standard 10-gallon aquarium with a screen top that I have covered all the way up except for an inch or so on both sides for ventilation. I covered the screen to retain heat and moisture. The glass on the inside of the tank usually has condensation on it as I mist the tank twice daily. The substrate I use is Zilla Jungle Mix which is damp but not soaked and about 4" deep. Other than that I have a stainless steel water bowl in there that is approximately 6-7" in diameter, a couple silk plants, and a few medium sized pieces of natural flagstone. For heat I use an Apollo Horticulture heat mat and thermostat. The tank maintains itself between 78-83 degrees.

As far as food I have primarily been using large crickets dusted with Repashy Superfoods and occasionally superworms, which is all my tiger salamander eats. I haven't changed it up much from that, but I'm hoping to find a local place that sells live pinkies. I also would rather make its primary diet nightcrawlers, but for right now crickets have been more accessible. I figure nightcrawlers dusted with Repashy would be more nutritious than crickets.

Anyhow, any help/insight would be nice. I'm by no means a pro but this little guy is active and ravenous. I can't wait to see how big it gets!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Newbie w/ a Brazilian Horned Frog

Name:  Cerberus.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  145.1 KB

Thread Information