Thread: Help! Toad with mouth open

Default Help! Toad with mouth open

Hi, everyone. For the past days, I noticed my toad (African common toad, Amietophrynus regularis) will just be sitting still, often with eyes closed, with his mouth open. He also seems to make some clicking noises that are not usual of him. This behaviour will stop once I touch him. Today I noticed by Iberian frog (Rana iberica) is showing the very same symptoms. What is this? Should I be worried? They are offered a varied diet dusted with calcium. Something tells me this is caused by the calciworms I fed them recently, but I could easily be wrong. I can't find anything about this. Is it fixable? Should I be worried?
    Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default Re: Help! Toad with mouth open

Can you give them a bath? Place them in containers with water and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilian Feline View Post
    Can you give them a bath? Place them in containers with water and see what happens.

Humidity doesn't seem to be the problem. Both enclosures are pretty humid. The toad has a water dish where he can soak and the frogs' setup is about 60% water.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Have they defecated? Also, am wondering if they get vitamins as well as calcium and if they have uv. What kind of noises do those kind of frogs normally make?

Quote Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
    Have they defecated? Also, am wondering if they get vitamins as well as calcium and if they have uv. What kind of noises do those kind of frogs normally make?
    I haven't seen him defecate, I am wondering if he is constipated. He seems to be showing this behaviour less than before, though, which relieves me. They do not get any extra vitamins besides a very varied diet and calcium powder. Should I get a vitamin supplement? They do not have an UV but get natural (indirect) sunlight. The toad very rarely calls (he release calls if I handle him, though), and the frog has been silent ever since I got him (although he release calls if I grab him gently by the sides).

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Glad he is showing the strange behavior less. Could you post a photo so people might see what they are doing? Hope they are ok.

Thread Information