Thread: signs of Chytridiomycosis?

Nationality
    [United States]

Exclamation signs of Chytridiomycosis?

Hi all, I have 5 (what I assume to be) Fowler's toads. I am a bit of a worry wort and I am concerned about the state of some of my toads. First, I can't tell if they are just fat or bloated (Starscream and Black Bean). Second, I am scared that one of my toads (Black Bean) may be developing Chytridiomycosis. the skin around his mouth and under his eyes has gone pale and looks faintly pink. Below are my answers to the "trouble in the frog enclosure" questions. This is my first time posting so I apologize for any errors.

1. Size of enclosure - 75 gallon
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - 5 Fowler's toads. One very large adult female at about 2.5" and the rest under 2".
    3. Humidity - 70%
    4. Temperature - 78 F
    5. Water type for both misting and soaking dish - 2 water dishes filled with treated tap water. Water is treated with Api turtle water conditioner that says it is safe for frogs. I mist with the same water.
    6. Materials used for substrate - Ecoearth, leaf litter, various mosses
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - bark hides from an expo, a ceramic pumpkin hide, two clay rocks from outside, a plastic corner hide, and two live plants, an Ivy and a Jasmine.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv. - I know I should have, but I didn't bake anything before putting it in the viv. I wasn't sure if the potted plants had fertilizer on them so I left them in the plastic pots so it wouldn't mix with the substrate. I put springtails and isopods in the viv. I'm not sure where else to mention it, but there are mites EVERYWHERE from the ecoearth. No, they are not springtails, they are definitely mites because the cephalothorax and abdomen are completely fused, plus they crawl without any springing.
    8. Main food source - superworms and crickets every other day. Open to suggestions for diet variation.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - calcium + D3 about once or twice a week
    10. Lighting - a small T5 for my plants
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - a small seed germination mat stuck to the side of the tank
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - tonight 11/5/18
    13. Have you found poop lately - I found ONE poop tonight, but I believe it was from Pepper, not Black Bean (toad in concern). The poop was covered in clear mucus(?) and had red dots inside if anyone wants to tell me what that is.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) - added pictures at bottom
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. Black Bean has been looking very bloated and orb-shaped. Kinda a puffy look to his dorsal side. Around his face and mouth, the skin has turned pale and looks slightly pink under the eyes. I tried to feel for compaction lumps but he was too wiggly to tell if it was a lump or a bone. I did not flip him over to look at his belly
    16. How old is the frog - he is just getting his dorsal stripe, so I'm going to guess two years. He was under an inch when I got him in July.
    17. How long have you owned him/her - since 7/18
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - wild because no one sells Bufo toads around here and I didn't want to risk buying online.
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats - crickets, superworms, and I had been feeding cut up canned snails before they accidentally got left out of the fridge (tossed them).
    20. How often the frog is handled - very rarely. only to check for compaction.
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - it's in the kitchen, unfortunately, so a high traffic area. I can't move it anywhere else because my apartment is small and that tank is huge (and heavy).
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - I have not cleaned it because I put plant, springtails, and isopods in the soil.

I attempted to add photo attachments (with the attachments button) but I don't think it worked. If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to attach photos I would appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information