Thread: Opinions please! Looking to get another chorus frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Opinions please! Looking to get another chorus frog.

So I have had my chorus frog Walter for over a year now, and I really want to get another frog so he can socialize. Is this a good idea? In the spring he used to croak so much because I think that was his mating call.

I don't really want to get another tadpole from the creek to raise, but I looked online and found a spring peeper frog, Pseudacris crucifer, for sale. Walter's species is Pseudacris maculata. They are both Pseudacris so same species right? Is it okay to have these two frogs together?

Walter is a wild caught frog, raised from a tadpole. It would have been better to let him go back in the wild but we have had him so long already and it seems too late. Would he spread disease to a captive bred frog or would it be fine since we have had him so long?

I would really like people's opinions here. Walter just seems pretty lonely and I thought he'd like a friend.

Thank you in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Opinions please! Looking to get another chorus frog.

Chorus frogs don't socialize, they don't get lonely, and they don't make friends. They are solitary, and and will do just fine kept alone. But, they can also be kept with an appropriate cage mate.
    Spring peepers are not the same species as a chorus frog, but they are in the same genus. That, in and of itself, does not indicate compatibility. Spring peepers are typically larger than maculata, although I've seen populations where the maculata can grow quite large too. Spring peepers also are more apt to climb.
    They might cohabitate just fine. There are a couple of things for you to consider. One is that the spring peeper, owing to it's larger potential size, may also get most of the food, or even intimidate the chorus frog into not eating. This is more likely to occur in a small enclosure. Second, the spread of pathogens or parasites is very much a risk. Your reference to a "captive bred frog" is invalid; the spring peeper you are looking at is almost certainly wild caught. This species is not regularly bred in captivity, if it ever has been at all.
    My feeling is that in a large, planted, escape proof enclosure, with lots of tiny prey, this would most likely work. Good luck whatever you decide.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for your advice

I realized Walter is more likely a Pseudacris Sierra, a Sierran tree frog. They also have those online. None of the spring peepers are actually available.

Walter right now is in a 20 gallon long. Is this big enough for another frog?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

A 20 long is sufficient for two small frogs. Make sure that they are about the same size.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What was stated above I agree with from HerpinMan. Disease is always possible even if you catch two amphibians in the same exact spot one could carry a disease and spread it to the others.

The benefit however if the frogs are from the same area they will have a better chance of being exposed to whatever diseases and such some of the frogs or it's own species have. So it would be more beneficial to catch frogs from the same area to reduce spreading of diseases and such. The spring peeper is also a very difficult frog to keep in captivity. You would have to be a very experienced keeper to keep them alive. I'm not doubting you it's just a very tough frog to accommodate. Chorus Frogs together would be better and they would have come from the same area. It would be much more rewarding to raise a frog then buy one at least it is for me. I wish you luck!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Thread Information