Thread: I just got my first Pacman frog. But he’s looking at the glass and not burrowing should I be worried?

Default I just got my first Pacman frog. But he’s looking at the glass and not burrowing should I be worried?

So I just got an albino Pacman frog from petco right before I went to petco I soaked an eco earth brick to expand it for the substrate and put it in the enclosure. I put about 2 inches of substrate in though it was a bit shorter on one side.

I mixed the eco earth in a bucket I just bought at Home Depot that I forgot to wash. I made sure to add reptisafe to the gallon of water I put in before mixing it with the eco earth brick. I got some fake leaves and a water bowl lay second and just quickly washed them with chlorine free tap water.

The tank im using for an enclosure is a aqua culture size 10 from Walmart.

Also im using a Che nano 40 watt for heat? Is this ok or is one of these things making the frog sick?

Also another thing Hong I fed my frog a superworm and he only ate half of it and it was a tiny one. Also on the way back to the car after buying the frog I had to walk it to the car in a heavy rainstorm could that cause anything? I’m just so terrified I messed up and it’s gonna get sick or worse.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: I just got my first Pacman frog. But he’s looking at the glass and not burrowing should I be worried?

You'll be fine. Give him a few days to adjust, and let him relax don't mess with him too much, and after a few days he should be fine. Keep an eye on temp, and make sure to mist.

Default Re: I just got my first Pacman frog. But he’s looking at the glass and not burrowing should I be worried?

Ok thanks he burrowed today so I was wondering if he doesn’t come out by tomorrow should I dig him up to feed him again or just wait for him

They say not to dig them up because it stresses them, but if he's a juvenile I would try to feed him ever day or every other day.

Ok if he’s not out by Tuesday night I’ll sit him up and feed him. I should mention he did o to the bathroom last night. Would you say to feed him earlier than Tuesday night because of this? Or would waiting for Tuesday still be good.

If he just used the restroom I would feed him, but make sure to have him on a schedule and keep track of when he uses the restroom so you can know when he's not feeling well.

What would the proper way to dig him up be? Idk if I’ll even have to but I’d F I do I’d like to know. I don’t have any gloves or anything atm for reptiles

Just thought I’d update you he came out without me digging him up. I put 2 crickets in his enclosure small ones. And I checked a few minutes later and they were gone. I heard sometimes crickets burrow though so idk if that means he ate them. I think he did though but I’df not I did leave out an orange cube for the crickets and they’re small crickets so I’d imagine they couldn’t do too much damage to the frog if they did bit. Regardless I’ll be buying some powder free gloves and examining him for bites tomorrow and the next few days.

I think you're doing spectacular

So he didn’t eat atleast one of the crickets so I took it out haven’t seenn any sign of the other tho

He’s not eating hasn’t for 2 days 3 including today. I try multiple times a day. I tried nightcrawlers and superworms he didn’t want them even tried a freeze dried cricket rubbed it up against him like this video suggested didn’t want em. Idk what to do. I can’t seem to pick up the live crickets so I can’t leave them out overnight for him. I’m terrified he won’t eat and die.

Well maybe give him the next few days to settle in, and don't bother him and make as little noise as possible.

Nationality
    [United States]

Here's a great pacman frog care sheet I found online, you may want to peruse it. But regardless, the first mistake was buying a pacman frog from Petco

He ate last night it seems he only eats free roaming crickets. I just let 3 roam around and kept close watch and 30-45 minutes he ate them all. I dusted 2 with reptivite since he hasn’t eaten much so I figured he’s need some. I’m very glad he ate but I am worried I won’t be able to transition him to nightcrawlers or dubias. Which id prefer they’re better for the frog and also easier to catch and feed.

EDIT: Wanted to clarify I have tried handfeeding and tong feeding a cricket it didn’t work and was honestly rather difficult to hold onto. I also tried hand and tong feeding small superworms and nightcrawlers. I even tried tong and hand feeding a freeze dried cricket and nothing seems to work besides cricket. On the plus side he ate now so atleast he should be ok for a a day or 2 but I really would prefer if he ate nightcrawlers.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoWalksThroughFire; November 9th, 2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Adding stuff I forgot.

Thread Information