Thread: Disaster. Thanks Petsmart...

Unhappy Disaster. Thanks Petsmart...

My local Petsmart started carrying ADFs. I was in the process of buying more fish for the tank when I saw some in with the fish. I asked the employee how to care for them. She said just like the fish. They also gave me a care sheet which said little. I read up a bit online and tried to remember how my childhood friends kept frogs. Easy, right? Well several days went by and the frog just hid. I then realized I needed different food. Shrimp were ignored but letting pellets fall by frog's face were eaten! Then the frog got those white patches people mention. I had to leave home for overnight but I heard frogs should not be fed daily anyways. When I got home it looked like the poor thing was about to pop with dropsy. I couldn't let it die in my tank. Didn't want to flush it because other than struggling to swim it seemed ok but probably in pain. Not sure if frogs can even feel pain. My child absolutely adores her frog. By now a fish ate its foot off and I feel so sad even though I have eaten frog legs before. I couldn't let her see it dead. She doesn't even understand death. If it wasn't so late I'd dump it in the canal to give it a fighting chance. Instead it went into a flooded area in my neighbors yard. Tomorrow my daughter will be looking for her frog. I wish I read these forums before I bought the thing. Well I guess 6 weeks of survival was better than most clueless owners. ....right?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Disaster. Thanks Petsmart...

Did you put it out in the neighbors yard alive or dead?? Releasing a live xenopus is really terrible for the ecosystem and it's the reason why they're illegal in many states. Petsmart giving poor living conditions in really no surprise but also very sad.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Disaster. Thanks Petsmart...

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Unfortunately, this is a very common occurrence with animals bought from any chain store (Petco, Petsmart, Pets Supermarket, ect), as they usually buy their animals from animal mills that often capture their animals from the wild, or otherwise mistreat them. The employees in most of these stores don't know or care where they get the animals from or how they care for them, and often attempt to trick people into thinking they are easy pets to make more money, much like a car salesman. Also, never release any animal into the wild! Non-native species often suffer worse in environments they aren't adapted too, and suffer a long, painful death if not killed by a predator or disease. If the frog were to become established, they would have a major impact on native wildlife (Examples are Cane toads in Australia, Burmese pythons in the Everglades, and Domestic cats around the world), and cause declines on our native animals. Here are some videos to help you out to avoid dangers like that again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPeN...Hu-DsOauXRMjkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stgN...Hu-DsOauXRMjkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO8T...Hu-DsOauXRMjkw

And I am deeply sorry for your loss, loosing any animal or loved one is a very difficult obstacle to overcome.

Thread Information