Thread: Ceramic Heat Emitter Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Ceramic Heat Emitter Question

Cross Posted on The Ball Python Forum as well.

Hi!

So I've got a Whites Tree Frog in a 18" 18" 24" Exo Terra setup, my house during the winter is 68 F degrees which is to low for the poor guy.

So I'm thinking of getting a CHE with a JumpStart thermostat (all links at the end)

However I'm wondering if when I put the CHE on the thermostat can I put 75 F at night and 85 F during the day and manually input these on the thermostat? Like wake up in the morning and re input the new temperature I want? The thermostat doesn't have multiple temps options for separate times. He has a day light but if I could avoid using multiple bulbs/lights that would be lovely.

https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Heat-...c+heat+emitter

https://www.amazon.com/MTPRTC-Contro...mostat+reptile

Any thoughts?

I am also open to using a heat mat.

If the above isn't possible what wattage should I use to get his cage 75 F degrees (his night temps) then I'll just use his day bulb in the day.

Any help would be awesome!
    Alyssa

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ceramic Heat Emitter Question

You can try this but a ceramic heat emitter is something that can make the enclosure very hot if something in the timer goes wrong. Is there any way you could switch to T5 lights that create heat and use a large UTH on the top of the back side of your enclosure? I just feel a ceramic heat emitter is a little bit much for these frogs.

I am on the other forum you mentioned but I only really answer questions on this forum. I'll have to look at these types of questions on the other forums now!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    You can try this but a ceramic heat emitter is something that can make the enclosure very hot if something in the timer goes wrong. Is there any way you could switch to T5 lights that create heat and use a large UTH on the top of the back side of your enclosure? I just feel a ceramic heat emitter is a little bit much for these frogs.

I am on the other forum you mentioned but I only really answer questions on this forum. I'll have to look at these types of questions on the other forums now!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    That was one of my worries as well. I've hear that they heat up pretty hot, which is good for say a bearded dragon but maybe not a frog then.

My only worry with a T5 is that they produce light. My Whites Tree frog doesn't mind the light all that much in the day but he's never out if it's still on. Which is why I was searching for a heat only bulb.

I could use a UTH I suppose it would be around the same price point anyways since I would need thermostat control with way. I'm hesitate to use one after all the reviews of holes burning and fire hazards, but I will be home during it's use so perhaps it's not that big of an issue.

I think I may just go with a UTH to bump it up a few degrees at night then.

I mentioned it was cross posted in case anyone saw this and though that two people had the same question. Didn't what to cause any confusion That's good to know however!

Thanks so much for your response
    Alyssa

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Vivarium electronics and spyder robotics both manufacture thermostats that you can use. The stuff you get at pet stores is garbage. Some of their models have settings for night drops as well and if you’re looking for reliable controls these are the way to go. I’d only use a ceramic heater with one of these as you have almost total control of the temperature. I use a spyder electronics thermostat for my blood python and it’s been nothing but a pleasure. They even have safety shut offs btw

Quote Originally Posted by DanDrobates View Post
    Vivarium electronics and spyder robotics both manufacture thermostats that you can use. The stuff you get at pet stores is garbage. Some of their models have settings for night drops as well and if you’re looking for reliable controls these are the way to go. I’d only use a ceramic heater with one of these as you have almost total control of the temperature. I use a spyder electronics thermostat for my blood python and it’s been nothing but a pleasure. They even have safety shut offs btw
    I would love to have a Herpstat it's just a large cost to get one. However when I get my summer job I suppose I could save up enough to get one.

I ended up upgrading his halogen bulb to a 50 watt day bulb and have bought him a 25 watt night red halogen bulb for now. I'm hoping he will come out with the red bulb on but chances are not. If that's the case I will just use it for my other frog. Once spring and summer come this won't be an issue but hopefully he'll just come out with it on.

Thanks for all your help!

Thread Information